Author Topic: Synaptic - Software Origins - Updates Tab - Ubuntu?  (Read 2144 times)

cuscotravelservices

• View Profile
    • Cusco Travel Services
Synaptic - Software Origins - Updates Tab - Ubuntu?
« on: October 24, 2014, 02:18:43 AM »
Hi Biff et al,

I'm still working on rectifying the the problem with poorly maintained .po Language Translation files.

On the Updates tab of the Software Origins (package: software-properties-gtk) dialogue window for Synaptic, there is an option for "Notify me of a new Ubuntu version".

Why would you want to be notified of a new Ubuntu version when you are using a Debian based distro?

Thanks, Michael

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

• View Profile
    • Japanese Information
Re: Synaptic - Software Origins - Updates Tab - Ubuntu?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 12:09:58 PM »
I understood the problem that cuscotravelservices spoke.
And I reply it when this "not problem".

This is in this condition with Debian wheezy package,
It is displayed in Debian and other distributions.
It is necessary to refer to project of Synatpic or Debian if you want to improve this.

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen. (ふうせん Fu-sen.) from Japan
Japanese Information http://installlinux.jimdo.com/linux-%E3%83%A1%E3%83%A2/wattos/

cuscotravelservices

• View Profile
    • Cusco Travel Services
Re: Synaptic - Software Origins - Updates Tab - Ubuntu?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 08:27:46 PM »
I understood the problem that cuscotravelservices spoke.
And I reply it when this "not problem".

This is in this condition with Debian wheezy package,
It is displayed in Debian and other distributions.
It is necessary to refer to project of Synatpic or Debian if you want to improve this.

Well, as per this topic (Reliable Free VPN Service?) unfortunately, I am not able to register an account on the Debian forums because they use IP Address Blocking services which I feel is the lazy approach to managing SPAM problems.

Perhaps you could raise the issue with them?

When I see Ubuntu mentioned by a package that is being used in a distribution based on Debian, one has to wonder if it is appropriate to be using the software-properties-gtk package especially when it has been poorly maintained with regards to the Language Translation files (.po files)?

Removing the software-properties-gtk package allows Synaptic's own basic interface for the management of repostiories which is translated correctly.

So, if the software-properties-gtk package is the overall best solution for the management of repositories I can recreate the Portable Object Template file for Language Translation and I can correct the problems for the Spanish translation which is something I am currently working on. I could also probably correct the interface to remove the reference to Ubuntu for my own purposes but I would like some feedback from Biff as to whether this would be worthwhile to include in future wattOS distributions.

Thanks, Michael.