Author Topic: upgrade kernel  (Read 1968 times)

hmgp

• View Profile
upgrade kernel
« on: May 21, 2014, 03:12:54 PM »
Hello everyone.

First time user of WattOs here.

WattOs comes with kernel 3.13.1 if not mistaken.

I need version 3.13.4 since that version has the r8188eu module to make my wireless usb work.

How can I upgrade the kernel to version 3.13.4 or above?

Thank you.

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: upgrade kernel
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 05:13:03 PM »
Hi there...as you know with Linux there are lots of options..

Easy and reliable path is with Synaptic. I am unsure if you are on 32 or 64bit and what flavor of wattOS R8, but I will give you the 64bit example, and 32bit basically works the same.(without the AMD64 at the end of the package)

Fire up synaptic either via command line (sudo synaptic) or via the menu.
(if the gui/menu method does not accept your password, please be sure to read the forums on a fix for this if you have not already done it)

Be sure you are connected to the Internet
First do a reload of the package list (reload button on top menu) to be sure you have the latest list and versions
Then search for "linux-image-amd64" (in the 64bit example) its a meta package.
Right click on it and select "mark for upgrade"
Click apply
Synaptic will tell you that other package(s) need to be pulled in along with this to complete the upgrade.
Let it download and do its thing.
Reboot
You will now have two Kernels to choose from (the 3.13 and 3.14)

Once you feel like the 3.14 is stable and did not break anything, you can un-install the 3.13 or leave it..either way.

tks...biff

hmgp

• View Profile
Re: upgrade kernel
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 07:58:35 PM »
Hello again.

Thank you very much.

I tried the 3.14 kernel but still got an error with the loading of the firmware.

For some reason, package firmware-realtek says that has the firmware for the rtl8188eu but in truth it does not...

I went and got the rtl8188eufw.bin file, copied to /lib/firmware/rtlwifi and ... voilá! Everything works fine now.

I think that if I did this copying of the rtl8188eufw.bin with the stock kernel, it would have worked also, but since everything is working, I left it like it is, with the 3.14 kernel.

Thank you very much. wattOs rocks in my very old Pentium3 1ghz with 256Ram 1nd 20Gb ATA (not SATA ;-) ) disk.

Fantastic distro!