Author Topic: Status?  (Read 761 times)

smhardesty

• watt-Tester
    • View Profile
Status?
« on: March 21, 2022, 05:52:54 PM »

It's been a LONG time since I was on this forum. I used WattOS for a good period a while back. I've been searching around for a really good, low resource distro to use. I happened to see an old post about WattOS so I figured I'd check things out. I'm posting this while running WattOS R10 Live. I have some questions.

First, when is the next release of WattOS? I believe it should be version R12, but I could be wrong.

Secondly, where can I download R11? I see mention of that version, but can't find anywhere to download it.

Lastly, is R10 still being updated? I think I can probably use R10 until R12 is released, but only if I know it is going to be updated.

Thanks in advance.

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Status?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 06:12:21 PM »
Hi smhardesty,
wattOS r12 beta has been tested. We are currently waiting for a release from Biff. He is super busy with job. Hopefully we will hear soon. Thanks for checking back in.
Leenie

smhardesty

• watt-Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 01:40:45 AM »
Thanks, Leenie. I did read where R12 is being tested and where Biff has been super busy.

Could you answer these questions, please? First, is there an R11 release and if so, where can I get it? Secondly, is it possible to get a copy of the R12 Beta? I'd be more than happy to test it and report back. Lastly, is R10 still being updated? If it hasn't reached its end of life, I'll happily install and run it.

Thanks in advance.

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 09:40:17 AM »
Firstly.. R10 is done and dusted.. that is no longer supported as an outdated release. We can still help bug fix a few things.. but in terms of where it is.. yeah it is obselete now as it was made for Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS and support ended April 30th 2021 and no more updates , security etc are being released by canocal. The other issue is with the programs out there now becoming more and more snap and snapd dependant rather than the apt we all use

R11 was bypassed. This was not released due to Biff's real life work commitments

We went direct to R12 beta instead.

Only a select few got invited to test the Beta as it was known to be quite buggy due to the controversial implementation of snap and snapd introduction by ubuntu and we ran into all kinds of fun and games with it lol as tried to work around all the issues

Let me have a chat with Biff to see if we can still provide the beta for play...

smhardesty

• watt-Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 04:15:20 PM »

Thanks for the response, cheiron. I was doing some digging around for the end of life for Ubuntu 16.04. and found the regular EOL to be April 2021 with security patches for five additional years. On my old laptop I use for experimenting I believe I might just go ahead and run WattOS R10 for a while.

Thanks for letting me know I wasn't just missing the download for a version R11. I looked as well as I could and couldn't turn it up.

So, it looks like I need to either wait for R12 to be released, or maybe you can manage to get a copy of the Beta for me to play with. I'd sure be grateful if you could manage that.

Thanks, again.