Author Topic: WattOS Security Distro  (Read 7803 times)

CharlieK

• View Profile
    • Just my little website
WattOS Security Distro
« on: January 08, 2019, 11:00:43 AM »
So, I've been delving a lot into IT security these days and already made quite some discoveries at work that I fixed. And then I came up with an idea.

WattOS lends itself well to be a good Security distro. (Looking at Biff now). I personally am using Microwatt as I kind of like the looks of things.

The Questions:

1) Once R11 is released, would it be all right if I modify the Microwatt distro slightly to make it more parrot/kali like?
2) Could this perhaps be a project where more people work on?
3) Could it be called WattOS Security? (Out of respect)
4) Perhaps also be part of this community/site?
5) Would more people be interested in such a distro and perhaps work on it?

It's just a bunch of questions and I am not doing anything just yet as I personally am a bit busy with work. But it's definitely an idea for the near future.

Dear regards,
Me. :)
Say Automobile ten times and it loses its meaning.
Say Coffee ten times and it continues to make me drool.

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: WattOS Security Distro
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 01:17:45 AM »
CharlieK, you have my attention. I like this idea! I too, am very security minded and do everything (including using TENS) I can to be as secure as possible.

CharlieK

• View Profile
    • Just my little website
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 12:33:08 PM »
Hah cool!

We could have a good secure system aimed at testing and more!

For now my time is rather taken. But I expect within two weeks I can actually do more.

Any other people wanting to join up?

CharlieK

• View Profile
    • Just my little website
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 11:21:04 AM »
There is one issue with TENS though. It's an NSA/AF related OS. Is it really secure or is it as secure as NSA want it to be?
Also. Who really owns .mil TDL?

So perhaps TAILS would be a better solution to combine it with a security related OS.

CharlieK, you have my attention. I like this idea! I too, am very security minded and do everything (including using TENS) I can to be as secure as possible.

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 02:43:23 PM »
My only concern with TENS is that it has Firefox browser in it. Firefox is going the way of Chrome in that it "phones home to mama." I quit using it. I use Chromium. Brave browser is pretty good too.

CharlieK

• View Profile
    • Just my little website
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 12:10:06 PM »
For now go for Firefox ESR. It's highly adaptable. Runs on Kali as well.

Did you get a good look at why NOT to use TENS already?
-

Currently I am already testing i3 Gaps on Ubuntu Minimal ISO. Slowly I am starting to understand why Biffster is taking long.
Damn what a lot of stuff to remove as well as actions that needs to be done.

As to Biff: perhaps i3 Gaps could be your friend. It really looks awesome, even if it's just appearance that is added. I am sure you'd love this.

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 05:19:41 PM »
Still can't deal with Firefox (I used to love it until it got heavier). Chromium actually runs much lighter. wattOS is about Light, Fast and Now!

I have looked for info about TENS. There is nothing negative I can find anywhere. Where did you find information? I maintain a live CD is more secure than an installed system.

i3 Gaps does look promising. I'll bet it's a booger to customize.

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 06:44:14 PM »
IceWeasel is a good browser that focuses on security and privacy (yes i know its based on ff!!!!!)

Comodo Dragon is a good secure browser It is capable of blocking web spies, cookies, and other forms of tracking. Comodo includes built-in domain validation.
This segregates strong and weak SSL certifications. Comodo also has its own antivirus package, so users are protected from malware, viruses, and other threats

My other suggestion is SRWave Iron.  It does not require a user ID whenever a browsing session is started, and it removes suggestions, alternate error pages, and error reporting. It also gets rid of RLZ-tracking, Google updater, and URL-tracking.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 09:59:22 AM by cheiron »

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 02:34:45 AM »
Wow! I used SRWare Iron (on Windows XP years ago)! I never thought about Comodo or IceWeasel. Thanks.

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 09:58:52 AM »
Small world isnt it leenie lol

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 10:56:44 PM »
It sure is!

veggie

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 02:43:06 AM »
I have Palemoon Browser. :)

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 06:47:22 PM »
I have Palemoon Browser. :)

Based on the firefox browser open source code and written using css and javascript and replaces gecko with goanna...

It's a different flavour i guess at the end of the day and an interesting one. Not exactly on topic though as it's not that secure a browser to what we are discussing but i'll permit it purely on the basis of single instances and defaults to duck duck go instead of google search
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 08:29:46 PM by cheiron »

CharlieK

• View Profile
    • Just my little website
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 02:56:02 PM »
But will these browsers also be secure out of the box?

As for speed/heaviness. I've been running ParrotSec on my laptop after giving up on Kali. That too has Firefox and it runs quite well. I guess it all depends on how you install and use it.

Perhaps time for a benchmark to compare several browsers against one another in terms of memory/cpu usage as well as speed and size and security.

Does anyone has ideas on the OS idea itself as well? It would be cool if more people could join in. :)

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 07:25:06 PM »
If you want to compare browsers with regards to security features then Tails is the benchmark OS i guess... as all its ins and outs are forced through tor. Trouble there is whilst good for most.. like anything.. its still open for man in the middle attacks. plus being on tor.. a lot of networks and forums and stuff will block by default a tor input so...

I'm looking forward the new release date once Biff frees himself from the alien probes.. i mean real life. until then, dicussion more than happy here although I would like to move this topic to (General Discussion) please.

We are aware that ubuntu 18.04 and 18.10 have an extensive bug list still... i've been playing with the new 19 series and that "appears" to be slightly better .. so watch this space folks and as always, awesome chatting and topic discussion folks. Many thanks :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:13:47 AM by cheiron »