Author Topic: Something funny I experienced  (Read 3985 times)

CharlieK

• View Profile
    • Just my little website
Something funny I experienced
« on: September 19, 2018, 07:10:25 AM »
So at the foundation I work at an investment was made for new computer systems.

As with anyone who 'thinks' they act more professional, Windows 10, 8GB memory, SSD drives, systems were bought, laptops and PC's. I was given the freedom of installing them myself (as to disable Cortana and block its traffic as well as other stuff that comes with Windows 10.) Office 2016/365 installed everywhere.. Naturally I did all that is needed according to the EU GDPR laws: Encrypting the entire drive, etc. And all works well.

Until my boss noticed I am still using an old Dell Optiplex 760 580 with 4gb ram and a good ol' 500GB sata drive running WattOS-MicroWatt R10. He asked why I, as sysadmin, did not get a new computer. I told him I didn't need one. I ran Chromium browser and opened about eight tabs, of which four were of the office365 page (I apologize), Wordpress Admin to our website and some other sites, I opened Libreoffice Write as well as the shell to connect to the webserver and I already had uVNC running to support someone. I explained to him that this was all I needed. I showed him the system really didn't slow down at all. Worked like a charm.

He cursed at me about the expenses he made, thousands of Euro's spent on expensive new systems and I just proven him that really wasn't needed. I told him it was needed though... (to make him feel better) but next time he really should have listened to me. I do intend to get a few of those old systems for myself at home for testing purposes.

And yes, I do realize that sometimes it's better to just get on with it and buy a new computer, at home I too got a new computer a while ago. But it's still fun to experience a situation like this.

But it did make me laugh when I was out of hearing-range of him. But did any of you ever experienced something like this? It happened yesterday.

Correction: It is a 580, not 760 lol. But the question remains.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 12:45:37 PM by CharlieK »
Say Automobile ten times and it loses its meaning.
Say Coffee ten times and it continues to make me drool.

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
Re: Something funny I experienced
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 10:17:58 AM »
Thansk for the story CharlieK. :)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 04:43:52 PM »
Loved your story! I have a 14 year old pc. Intel workstation, 8gb ram, 2.66 quad core processor. Friends think I'm nuts for running old pc. Fun stuff.

CharlieK

• View Profile
    • Just my little website
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 08:55:43 AM »
Loved your story! I have a 14 year old pc. Intel workstation, 8gb ram, 2.66 quad core processor. Friends think I'm nuts for running old pc. Fun stuff.

Those old stations truly still work well.

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 02:23:24 PM »
I use it everyday. It came from the dump.   :D

CharlieK

• View Profile
    • Just my little website
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 12:47:24 PM »
I use it everyday. It came from the dump.   :D

lol. That's awesome.

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 09:58:21 PM »
It's amazing what folks will throw in the dump.

CharlieK

• View Profile
    • Just my little website
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 11:56:54 AM »
Indeed. Also silly if you realize they left in their harddrives and decide to inspect the contents and suddenly realize they did not remove anything. *sigh.. real life experience*

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 01:21:33 PM »
They almost never wipe or remove hard drive! Most will not make the effort to learn how.

I'll never forget the day my husband, who was running Windows XP at the time, said to me, "Put that Linux stuff on my computer." He has never looked back. And his pc came from the dump too! We are both running wattOS R10.