Author Topic: General Announcement  (Read 37457 times)

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
Re: General Announcement
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2019, 04:26:11 PM »
^Yeah, would be interesting to hear his reflections of what has been said here.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

Nuihc88

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2019, 06:03:17 AM »
On the topic of DEs & WMs:
I happened to be looking into Snaps and saw that some people were using them to streamline testing and development of DEs. Did some more digging and stumbled into Wayland display server, which apparently removes tearing/vsync issues, while having performance similar to Xorg. [Link] Then saw this Wayland port of i3: SwayWM (might be worth looking into.)

Anyway, from all of that i got the following idea:
How about using Snaps/Flatpaks/AppImages to streamline maintenance and installation of all potentially messy system components like DEs/WMs?

However, since running them sandboxed would add overhead to the end system, i would also suggest the following approach:
0. Do most of the testing, debugging & maintenance sandboxed.
1. Use a selection of sandboxed DEs/WMs for preview purposes on a single live CD.
2. Extract only the user's DE/WM choice over to the final OS during installation.
This way there would only need to be one .iso and potentially more DEs/WMs could be supported and/or maintained in less time.

On the Project Direction:
If the Distro's name were to be taken as a mission statement, then shouldn't the main focus be further extending battery life? ...which would imply adding functionality like improved out-of-box support for underclocking/undervolting, which various kernel modules can accomplish for many if not most systems. [Link1]
The main problem with those modules is that they require some manual tuning from the user, which is why they are essentially ignored by mainstream distros and aren't always compatible with their kernels. sometimes you can simply build the necessary module from source, other times you have to configure and compile the full linux kernel because some feature you need was disabled by default; worse still, system updates on mainstream distros frequently break these sorts of configurations.

I think most people here would prefer a system that is extremely minimal by default, while still giving the option of adding recommended and frequently requested packages/features (possibly on a skippable extra page) during installation; especially when this would normally require many additional steps from the user, while also being fairly easy to automate during installation.
For example: adding Web Browsers, Media Players & Codecs, Office Suites, etc. should be optional, as it takes several additional steps to add or remove them afterwards.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 03:22:32 PM by Nuihc88 »

drizzt

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2019, 02:51:05 AM »
You're not giving us false hope just to shut us up art you Biff? 
haha... just kidding. 

Sorry if this comment comes up in the wrong box or watever... still learning to use forum... and linux

i won't repeat what others have said, especially on the performance aspect.  That's a main thing in my opinion   i got to know of i3 and love it from wattos, my netbook wor%s much better with it than other WM.  i hope that will stay.  my opinion given :)   i shifted from wattos to use antix and install i3, but it doesn't have the same 'smoothness' or integration as with wattos - maybe coz i'm jjust a newbi.  :)      i shifted coz of the whole spectre thingy.... maybe again coz i don't really know what i'm doing so got scared and wanted something with patched kernel. . now eagerly await v11.

My sincere thanks to all who made wattos possible.

ulisseskat

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2019, 06:55:25 PM »
I still use R10 LXDE 32bits in a Vaio laptop (11 years old); it's the best OS ever!!!
I install in all my friends and family computers and have no problem for them to leave Windows for Linux! Thanks Biff!
What I like and want is just an update for the next LTS release.
I tried MX and Peppermint, but always come back to Wattos. Hope you can manage some time for us.

Thanks again!