Author Topic: General Announcement  (Read 37493 times)

veggie

Re: General Announcement
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2019, 04:08:57 PM »
Any News ? Biffster?

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2019, 03:49:59 AM »
I hear people are looking for me  ;D

Apologies folks. I know things seem dead. I would explain what I am doing, but it would be complicated. Lets just say I have responsibilities that cross 3 time zones and thousands of people and am fighting the infosec stuff every day. :)

I've actually been thinking about it and think it might be an opportunity to "re-tool" and maybe get creative and collab on the release.

So with that I will open this question....What are the things that are most relevant to you today for an OS? What distro is your jam? What window manager, biggest pains, etc. I still love minimalism, and run i3 window manager and build things by scratch.

But what really matters now in 2019? Fire away and give me some thoughts? (also probably going to just blow the whole web site up and start fresh, but keep an archive...(both the last version and this one, but again..being a web master is about 30th on the list right now)...so steady state there...

torddu

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2019, 11:12:53 AM »
Greetings from the Highlands of Scotland.

I'm quite new to this forum, but have been using Watt R10 for a while now.

Please; no apologies for having a life! 

Thankyou for bringing Watt OS into the World.

As someone who is a reasonably competent "operator", but in no sense of the word a "technician", my own needs from an OS are fairly simplistic:

(i)  It actually works and does what was originally intended of it.  Not all distros are equal in this respect.
(ii)  It will run on low-end machinery and give a decent battery life when used on a laptop.
(iii)  It allows the performance of basic tasks such as browsing and dealing with documents and images.
(iv)  It can be added to as the need arises and it is difficult to break the system by doing so.
(v)  It is easy to re-trace your steps and fix it if (iv) results in breakage.

You can probably see from this how I came to settle on Watt OS in the first place...

My all-time favourite distro (and the one I still occasionally use on my old Eeepc 701 4G when I've screwed everthing else up...) is Easypeasy.

My machinery:

Mid 2007 iMac running El Capitan
MSI U180 running Watt R10 32-bit
Eeepc 701sd running Watt R10 32-bit
Eeepc 701 4G running Debian Jessie

Best Wishes to all.

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2019, 01:14:25 PM »
Hi Biff,
Glad you are OK. My needs on computer are to use a light weight as possible system and still have LXDE.
I am using an old business computer, Intel Core Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66 GHz, 8 Gb ram and AMD Cedar graphics.
I just need Chromium and I add all the rest.

At work I use FreeOffice 2018, Gimage Reader, Iscan, Recoll, Gimp and Chromium on iMac 11,2, 4 Gb ram. It would
be nice to have the fan control actually work properly. A fellow employee allowed my work computer to overheat...will
be changing hard drive this weekend.
Leenie

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2019, 06:57:40 PM »
Firstly wb Biff! you have been missed sorely.

Whats important on an OS for me.. hmm... smooth interface, lightweight sub 700mb installer (you can always add what you want).. a nice lxde interface and good support for today's hardware (i'm now running ryzen 5's with gpu's and surround sound which linux sucks at supporting) and the ability to use all my cpu cores.

Thats pretty much where i stand.. R10 was a darn fine follow up to the 9 and I felt just needed to be polished a little bit

veggie

« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2019, 12:45:08 AM »
Helllo Biffster ;) Well ;) I wish to have WattOS with LXDE :) Light and fast :) with Scrot so that I can take 20,30,40,50 screenshots quick and easy :) . For the rest I would like to have a rolling release stable perhaps Debian Stable or Arch  :) and thats it :)
We have a good oportunity of having a LXDE linux with many followers because Lubuntu gave up LXDE for good and other distros also gave up LXDE and are now LXQT.

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2019, 04:32:03 PM »
@veggie, I like the idea of rolling release. However LXDE is not supported anymore...Maybe go with XFCE?

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2019, 04:34:24 PM »
@veggie, I like the idea of rolling release. However LXDE is not supported anymore...Maybe go with XFCE?

I think i'd prefer mate due to gtk3 over xfce but either would do for me

veggie

« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2019, 10:12:01 PM »

what ? Not Supported??? Manjaro has a LXDE version

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2019, 03:44:57 AM »

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2019, 11:38:56 AM »
I did search: https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch?query=lxde+not+supported&cat=web&pl=opensearch&language=english
I think that is why Lubuntu is going to LXQT.

Straight from LXDE veggie ...

0.99.2 / 22 November 2016; 2 years ago
[/t]

In 2013, they announced the LXQT project as they werent happy with the GTK3 which is a shame and decided to carry with the QT side of things

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LXQt

as for Manjaro...

https://manjaro.org/download/

they are only offering XFCE, KDE and Gnome really now...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 11:44:06 AM by cheiron »

veggie

« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2019, 12:16:17 PM »
I did search: https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch?query=lxde+not+supported&cat=web&pl=opensearch&language=english
I think that is why Lubuntu is going to LXQT.

Straight from LXDE veggie ...

0.99.2 / 22 November 2016; 2 years ago
[/t]

In 2013, they announced the LXQT project as they werent happy with the GTK3 which is a shame and decided to carry with the QT side of things

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LXQt

as for Manjaro...

https://manjaro.org/download/

they are only offering XFCE, KDE and Gnome really now...

Here it is >>> Manjaro LXDE Community Edition >>>  https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-community/storage/lxde/

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2019, 02:45:21 PM »
Ah yeah.. the community side based on 18.04. its not on the official circuit though. make the most of it whilst its there

herndon.jeffreys

• Love Conquers All
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2019, 12:42:45 AM »
Hello Biffster:I

Thanks so much for posting....  and don't be sorry for having a life.  What I look for is:

(1) Lightweight - I loved LXDE.  LXQT is ok, but feels heavier and slower.  I have a single core with 2 GB of ram. 
(2) A Rolling Release that is based on "Stable" version (Debian???).   I am not aware of ANY rolling stable releases.   
(3) Base Programs used most often - LibreOffice, KOrganizer, KAddressbook, KFind, Gimp, and KeepPassX. I also use a couple  of Windows based programs....  so compatibility is important
(4) If Stable Rolling Release isn't possible, is there a way to make it so personal data is saved during fresh install?  That would be new and different and would save a lot of time in upgrading.... It really does take a lot of time on a fresh install to bring it back up to speed....
and I don't think anyone has done that.

Thanks again for all that you do!

Hern

herndon.jeffreys

• Love Conquers All
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2019, 12:49:02 AM »
Sorry, one other thing on the wish list....  32 bit as well as 64 bit...  I still use a 32 bit computer.  I live in a rural area with spotty satellite internet, so have not upgraded to newer computer able to handle faster internet; there is no need to invest in the latest greatest.

Thanks again for asking, Biffster

Hern
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 01:41:19 PM by herndon.jeffreys »