Author Topic: Keyboard shortcut NUMLOCK opens Screenshot R10 (SOLVED)  (Read 2645 times)

Zak

• View Profile
Keyboard shortcut NUMLOCK opens Screenshot R10 (SOLVED)
« on: January 12, 2017, 06:45:36 PM »
Hi - I have recently installed (and reinstalled...) R10.  I am having an issue where if the NUMLOCK is on and I press one of the arrow keys or delete, Screenshot starts up.  I have searched forums for Lubuntu, Ubuntu, and LXDE.  I have found suggestions to access System Settings and keyboard shortcuts, but, even after installing unity-control-center (which didn't have a section for keyboard), I am not able to figure out where to remove this shortcut key on Watt OS.  Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 08:01:14 PM by Zak »

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
Re: Keyboard shortcut NUMLOCK opens Screenshot R10
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 07:33:36 AM »
Hi Zak

Have a look here first..

Try changing the keyboard model:[/size]System, Preferences, Keyboard, Layouts.

Otherwise there was this from 2009 on ubuntu forums that may..may be a fix

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard
[/size]
[/font]
[/size]seems to be a  possible "fix" discussed on a forum i found :)
[/size]
[/size]note i put fix in speechmarks.. it may or may not work[/font]

Zak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 04:42:10 AM »
Hi Cheiron!  Thanks for the reply.

When I go to Preferences (I don't see System in Watt 10....just System Tools), I get Keyboard and Mouse and Keyboard Layout isn't an option.  How do I get to where you are referring?

Also, I did some testing with some other distros with LiveCD and didn't have the problem (even with Lubuntu), but did with WattOS installed and Live CD for 64 and 32.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:12:40 AM by Zak »

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 12:18:22 PM »
Hi again Zak! :)

Have you checked the keybinds in your lxde-rc.xml file that is located in:  /home/yourusername/.config/openbox ?
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

Zak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 05:57:35 PM »
Hey Blaze - looks like I should put you on speed dial! :)

Thanks for the idea....I looked at that file and looked for screenshot and lock.  Lock wasn't mentioned at all.  Screenshot was mentioned only in reference to Print Screen.  Is there something else I should be looking for?

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 08:46:28 PM »
Hi again Zak! Speed dial... ;D

Incredible as it sounds I got another idea worth a try at the least. Go into the bios of your computer and check if you got some kind of setting or value regarding numlock that is possible to change. I got that on this old T61, so worth a check, ok? :)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Zak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 04:14:16 AM »
Hey Blaze - I will check it out, but I am not hopeful as I am not having the issue with other distros.....

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 09:46:03 AM »
Yes, a very long shot, like hitting a fly in the universe with a random bullet...or something. :)

Zak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 07:05:30 PM »
Okay....so I think I didn't fully explore a wonderful suggestion from Blaze about the Keybindings.  Since my last post, I did a LiveCD with Lubuntu and found that I was incorrect is my assessment that it wasn't happening in Lubuntu.  What happens in Lubuntu is that the same keystrokes automatically take a screen shot and save it in the home folder.  So, without realizing it, it does happen in Lubuntu (and I had multiple .png files there to reinforce how inaccurate I was in my previous assessment!).

I then decided to LiveCD Xubuntu, which has a Keyboard Shortcut interface.  After some trial and error, I discovered that my keyboard translates NumLock-arrow and NumLock-Del combo into Print Screen.  So, as Blaze previously suggested, if I modify they KeyBindings, I am thinking I will be fine.  I can't test this right now as I am currently not able to log-in to that computer (another problem Blaze is assisting me with....).  But I am pretty confident this will resolve it.   

Thanks everyone!

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
Re: Keyboard shortcut NUMLOCK opens Screenshot R10 (SOLVED)
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 08:42:26 PM »
Glad to hear you got this solved!

Good work folks  8)