Author Topic: Sound issues  (Read 1772 times)

eralus

• View Profile
Sound issues
« on: August 06, 2015, 04:45:22 PM »
Small problem here (with a large impact though). After using microwatt R9 for a while, I realiued that there was no convenient sound icon that would let me set my volume using my mouse. That wouldn't be so bad, but I was sad to see that my hardware sound keys aren't working either. They do work on LXDE, but I really love i3. I don't know if it's important, but I'm running microwatt on a netbook, so the sound keys are really keyboard shortcuts (Fn + F7/F8/F9). Any suggestions are appreciated. I think I remember Biff sying something about adding icons/applets to the bottom status bar, but I have no idea how to find a sound applet.
On a side note, if anyone knows of a way to suspend the pc without logging off, that would be great as well, beacause logging off sort of kills the purpose of the suspend function. For the time being a terminal command will do, but a more convenient way is preferred.
Thanks in advance,
Eralus

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
Re: Sound issues
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 05:06:57 AM »
bear with us eralus on this.

Someone will be with you soon. its just a case of time zones and catching someone :)

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sound issues
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 03:13:21 PM »
Hi There,

There is not an "applet" to control volume in i3wm by default. You can bind keys to just about anything in i3 to do this in the configuration file.

There is a good thread in the i3 FAQ and I have posted below that gives several command examples, and links to potential solutions as well.

https://faq.i3wm.org/question/125/how-to-change-the-systems-volume/

tks....biff