Author Topic: wattOS R9 2015 update  (Read 5670 times)

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
wattOS R9 2015 update
« on: January 25, 2015, 07:21:37 PM »
Greetings all,

I wanted to drop a quick line to make sure you know whats going on with the latest version of wattOS in development.

The release date is a little tardy (as it has been for 7 years :) ) - so we are consistent.

But the reason is that I am looking at a potential return to ubuntu as an upstream base. There are lots of reasons, mostly dealing with Debian Jessie breakage, flexibility, and general labor required to get a clean stable desktop with the widest hardware compatibility while maintaining a simple clean desktop environment with no bloat.

Some people would be happy with this development, some will not. I cannot worry about that, but only to try and continue to develop wattOS in a way that has helped many people over the years.

There has not been a final verdict as I am doing extensive testing and building to see if this pivot makes sense. I would anticipate some beta images for a few testers to review in the next 7-10 days as I already have a working LXDE 32/64 base.

wattOS was derived from Ubuntu for 6 years until the latest release. It does not mean support would not be around for either (and most any version) as I field questions from wattOS 6 onward at this point on a semi regular basis.

I will be looking at this for the next few more days before a final decision (and announcement) is made, but the forums here will of course be the first to know along with some private notifications for some beta testing of the R9 images.

tks

biff