Author Topic: Update Manager - Safe Upgrade Dialogue  (Read 2157 times)

cuscotravelservices

• View Profile
    • Cusco Travel Services
Update Manager - Safe Upgrade Dialogue
« on: October 02, 2014, 02:12:02 AM »
Hi Biff et al,

I'm in Post Installation phase for wattOS R8 LXDE 32-bit and documenting things as I go.

I've just opened the Update Manager, after running gksu-properties in Terminal to change su to sudo, and a dialogue window has been displayed which is asking me if I want to perform a Safe Upgrade.

What is the standard choice?

What happens when No is selected?

What happens when Yes is selected?

Is it better to use Synaptic and Mark all Upgradeable packages and then click the Apply button?

The PC I am installing on is not mine and will be mainly used by a girl who is 9 years old.

Which interface for Upgrading Packages would be most suitable for her?

Which interface is the most suitable for ensuring the proper installation of Updates/Upgrades?

Thanks, Michael.

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
Re: Update Manager - Safe Upgrade Dialogue
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 10:55:12 PM »
This comes down to personal preferences, I always use apt in terminal when upgrading. Maybe you should learn her to use the method most suitable for the person that will give her support if/when things go bad.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

cuscotravelservices

• View Profile
    • Cusco Travel Services
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »
This comes down to personal preferences, I always use apt in terminal when upgrading. Maybe you should learn her to use the method most suitable for the person that will give her support if/when things go bad.

Well, I'm still a Linux noob myself and I've been using Synaptic usually.

So, when I didn't see any Notification icon, for upgrades, in the Taskbar and I noticed the Menu item for Update Manager, I was thinking this may be the path to choose but when given the option of a Safe Upgrade, or not, I'm not sure, myself, what each path (Yes or No button) will do and which is REALLY the best option.

Thanks, Michael.

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 06:34:55 AM »
Are this 9 year old child really ready to administrate udating/upgrading the install? Maybe that is the question you should ask yourself... Would it be possible for you to do it once in a while? Or some other grown up in the vicinty of the child. Just a thought.  :)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

cuscotravelservices

• View Profile
    • Cusco Travel Services
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 12:47:12 AM »
Are this 9 year old child really ready to administrate udating/upgrading the install? Maybe that is the question you should ask yourself... Would it be possible for you to do it once in a while? Or some other grown up in the vicinty of the child. Just a thought.  :)

I am guessing there would be less interaction required by using the Menu Item for Update Manager but she would then need to be able to decide whether to do a "Safe Upgrade" or not which is why I want to know the following.

What is the "standard" choice when using the Update Manager? No or Yes?

What happens when No is selected?

What happens when Yes is selected?

What happens in the background when either of those choices is activated?

The dialogue window is asking "Do you wish to make a "safe-upgrade", that does not remove packages or install new packages?"

How can an upgrade be performed without installing any packages? Doesn't seem logical to me.

Thanks, Michael.