Author Topic: WattOS R12 is here.. new website, forum and more...  (Read 2023 times)

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
WattOS R12 is here.. new website, forum and more...
« on: November 17, 2022, 07:48:59 PM »
Hi Folks..

It's here!!!

New website, R12... download links and a new forum setup

https://www.planetwatt.com/

JBHoren

• Retired Unix/Linux SysAdmin
    • View Profile
Re: WattOS R12 is here.. new website, forum and more...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 05:47:12 AM »
I'm gobsmacked! I downloaded the ISO image and created a bootable, live USB drive via unetbootin, only to then discover that it is for an X86_64 CPU. Does WattOS-R12 really not support 32-bit systems? Isn't that a major purpose of WattOS? Admittedly, I might/must have missed the notice, but surely there's room in the Release Notes to mention a system requirement such as this. Please advise.

As Emily Litella used to say, "Never mind." I read a post from May, 2021 in a related thread, and saw that a 64-bit system is a prerequisite for WattOS-R12. How 'bout dat. I previously ran WattOS-R2 on 32-bit hardware, so when I read that -R12 was based on Debian "Bullseye", I figured that -R12 would also support my 32-bit systems. Silly me. Of course, my ASUS 900A (32-bit) currently runs Debian "Bookworm", so my assumption about -R12 was not unfounded. I guess the old adage still holds true: "If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it."

Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 06:16:48 AM by JBHoren »

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 08:41:52 AM »
Welcome back!  8)

I nearly fell off the chair when I saw the news. Really cool to see wattOS back on it´s feet again.  :)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 06:53:10 PM »
I'm gobsmacked! I downloaded the ISO image and created a bootable, live USB drive via unetbootin, only to then discover that it is for an X86_64 CPU. Does WattOS-R12 really not support 32-bit systems? Isn't that a major purpose of WattOS? Admittedly, I might/must have missed the notice, but surely there's room in the Release Notes to mention a system requirement such as this. Please advise.

As Emily Litella used to say, "Never mind." I read a post from May, 2021 in a related thread, and saw that a 64-bit system is a prerequisite for WattOS-R12. How 'bout dat. I previously ran WattOS-R2 on 32-bit hardware, so when I read that -R12 was based on Debian "Bullseye", I figured that -R12 would also support my 32-bit systems. Silly me. Of course, my ASUS 900A (32-bit) currently runs Debian "Bookworm", so my assumption about -R12 was not unfounded. I guess the old adage still holds true: "If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it."

Good luck!
Hi JB.. i was gonna say.. pop over to our discord server where we can offer live help but i have just seen you there! posts on 32bit to follow

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 06:56:30 PM »
Welcome back!  8)

I nearly fell off the chair when I saw the news. Really cool to see wattOS back on it´s feet again.  :)

heya Blaze! Yeap, we alive and kicking and live once more.. come join us over on discord bud https://discord.com/invite/gzfgJVeytj

Dodcel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 12:57:30 PM »
Congratulations to the whole team on the launch wattOS R12 .

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 05:27:31 PM »
@Dodcel

Many thanks and hopefully see you on the Discord server !!

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 09:41:47 AM »

heya Blaze! Yeap, we alive and kicking and live once more.. come join us over on discord bud https://discord.com/invite/gzfgJVeytj

Thanks for the invite, we´ll see. Real life is very busy though, would say crazy busy. The older I get the busier it gets  ??? it should have started to reverse by now!  ;D

Tinkering time is very marginal nowadays but will try to squeeze in a look at the wattOS live session as a minimum. Using BunsenLabs since forever it feels like, with some very occasional dibble dabble with a couple of other Debian derivatives. If not for other engagements get too much in the way I will certainly check in on you guys here occasionally.

Keep it up and stay  8) 
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 11:58:48 AM »

Good luck!

Answer from Biff on our Discord server...

biff — 22/11/2022 01:26
No definite timeline on a 32bit ISO. Was waiting to see what the demand looked like as most (not all) major OS's have moved on from 32bit. I understand the merits and hardware that needs it, but need to know how much demand before I put the labor into it and maintain it.

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 04:28:52 PM »
@JBHoren if you need 32 bit, and can live with using the Openbox window manager, I recommend you to check out BunsenLabs.

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2022, 07:30:12 PM »
@JBHoren Also the openbox version of SparkyLinux is very easy to use.

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2023, 04:16:37 AM »
The 12 iso live session looked really good. Congratulations! I will not do any installation this time around though. Hope to have a closer look at the next one. The freeze of "Bookworm" is coming now and I guess you already are working on it by now. :)   

There are some strange behavior going on here at the forum. I am never allowed to read or log in on first try. I have to close the tab and return, works second time around though. Weird.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 04:20:59 AM by blaze »

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2023, 07:00:15 PM »
Hi Blaze! There are a lot of folks saying the same about strange behavior on the this forum. Please join us on Discord, it is the new forum for wattOS.

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2023, 09:04:57 PM »
I have seen some forum strangeness here, but cleared up when I dropped my addons to stop blocking (ublock and privacy badger) or use a new private window with those off.  Something likely related to cookies/cache, etc. Probably wont spend a bunch of time on it here unfortunately.

Yes, bookworm is being actively looked at, and we may even beta for some folks, but nothing official just yet. I am using it as a daily driver currently so iron out any strangeness :) - My newer hardware is much happier with the 6.x kernel also.