Author Topic: A sampling of my photo art  (Read 1755 times)

smhardesty

• watt-Tester
    • View Profile
A sampling of my photo art
« on: March 27, 2022, 07:18:37 PM »
cheiron, here are just a few of my prints. I start with a photo, then apply various techniques in GIMP to arrive at the final product. The first photo is titled, "Fairbanks Feed Mill" I sold several copies of it and it won me a dozen or more first place awards at shows in my area. Then the second one is titled, "Just Sittin'". It won quite a few awards and I think it sold just about as many copies as Fairbanks Feed Mill. Then the third photo is a sample of partial color splash. Took me a while, but I like the final product.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 09:03:02 PM by smhardesty »

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
Re: A sampling of my photo art
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 11:33:09 PM »
Stunning... simply put!

That is a beautiful set of photos and post edit work :)  Me, personally... I go a lot more simplistic.. direct from camera.. I will take a 100 shots.. and pick the 1 single one that was right for me.. rather than a couple, touch up in post and then post lol

Like this one.. crop sensor camera.. Sony A6400, which is a 24.2MP mid range mirrorless. Lens on this was the Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN (aps-c lens). Shot handheld, no support, no OSS, no IBIS or other steady aids. Photo was shot f/1.4, ISO-100 and a 1/4000s shutter. Sun was at 7 o clock to my standing position and around 30mins before sunset. No post editing, clean up or anything has been done here.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 11:37:16 PM by cheiron »

smhardesty

• watt-Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 02:37:26 AM »
I can get into your photos, easily. There is a LOT to be said for shooting and printing pure, unaltered photos. When I first started into photography years ago, I shot with several different Sony 35mm cameras. I know I cling to the past too much, but I still think some of my better stuff was taken back then on film. I started editing with Gimp as a last resort to seemingly all the other photographers in this area showing HIGHLY edited and altered photos. My pure subject photos couldn't hold up to all the computer generated photos all those guys were showing. I draw the line at altering photos.

I threw a fit at a show when the winner was a completely computer generated print. It could NOT still be called a photo. What the guy did was take a photo of an old graveyard. Then he went NUTS with PhotoShop and CREATED the rest of the shot. He had taken the photo during daylight hours so he first darkened the shot to make it appear night time. Then he added lightning bolts from another photo. Then he added in some rain, and finally he created an image that looked a little like a ghost. NONE of that was actually there when he took the photo. I just lost my temper over that.

Yeah, I have a folder on one of these computers that is labeled "Objects". I'd like to see more of your stuff whenever you get the time.

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 12:16:12 PM »
So enjoying the photos! The forum is FUN again. May I steal some for my randomwallpaper file?

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 01:12:29 PM »
From one of our last storms.. You can use this one sure Leenie :)

« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 01:18:57 PM by cheiron »

smhardesty

• watt-Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 03:54:03 PM »
So enjoying the photos! The forum is FUN again. May I steal some for my randomwallpaper file?

leeine, you are more than welcome to use any photo I post. In fact, if the image posted on here is too small for a decent wallpaper, let me know and I'll send you a full rez photo.

smhardesty

• watt-Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2022, 03:57:12 PM »
cheiron, to me, at least, that photo is made even more dramatic because of the B&W exposure. I've done a lot of B&W as well as sepia. Sometimes B&W and sepia speak louder than full color. Nice shot!

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 05:19:57 PM »
Many thanks smhardesty :)

That was one of my first ever attempts at high speed shutter photography to freeze the waves and yea.. still need practice but I was pleased with the first batch there lol
Taken on a horrid day with Storm Eunice passing overhead.. As i was taking this photo.. we had sustained ground level wind speeds of 62mph / 100kmh with gusts at 91mph / 146kmh live recorded. I was part sheltered but still getting slammed by the wind and that photo was with a light Sony A6400 mirrorless camera and the Tamron 70-300mm f4.5-6.3 di iii rxd at full 300mm zoom (11.5inch fully extended) and i was handheld.. I didnt have my tripod or anything with me and neither the lens or the camera have stabilisation built in lmao..

smhardesty

• watt-Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2022, 08:11:02 PM »
It's a nice shot, for sure.

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2022, 12:08:55 AM »
Thank you both much.

smhardesty

• watt-Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2022, 02:56:06 AM »
I'll post a few more in the coming days. I need to reorganize my photo folders anyway. Maybe I can start getting things in some kind of order.