Author Topic: The neverending search for the perfect web browser  (Read 5948 times)

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
Re: The neverending search for the perfect web browser
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2022, 04:38:26 PM »
Hi Leenie

I am running it on the stock R12 beta as is.. using those exact instructions.. here's a walkthrough on the install :)

smhardesty

• watt-Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2022, 05:19:04 PM »
Link to Viper download: https://g.srev.in/get-appimage/viper_browser/

Not sure why, but that link also didn't include a download link for me. I did a search and found a download link on github. I have Viper now and have opened it once. I see in the preferences for Viper that it is a LOT like Firefox. At least close enough for me to at least want to try playing around with.

Thanks to both of you guys for pointing me in the direction of Viper!

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2022, 06:18:12 PM »
you're welcome smhardesty :)

I wasnt sure if you had got it or not hence why i did the video installation for you and just went through a few settings to show it.

The other browser i use is Falkon .. its kde so expect it to come in at around 200mb install... falkon itself is only 3mb.

If you are interested..

Code: [Select]
open terminal
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y falkon
Now this one takes a bit of getting used to on the setting up.. but it's a nice quick light browser.

If you want any further help with anything... let us know and i may do a video walkthrough to help, cause i like doing that stuff lmao

smhardesty

• watt-Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2022, 07:09:13 PM »
I have the Falkon website bookmarked. I'm going to spend some time paying with Viper before I download and install anything else. I need to tweak the settings in a browser to suit me, then use it for daily web surfing for a while before I know if it is going to be something I like or not. My initial opinion of Viper is that it might very well be a browser I can use daily. It imported my bookmarks from Firefox 98.0.2 with no problems. I also have the ad blocker all set up. I haven't yet had Task Manager opened while I have Viper in use. I need to see the difference in resource usage between Firefox and Viper. I know that Firefox eats right at 7% to 9% of my available memory to run. In my opinion, that's too much for running just a web browser.

Thanks for the tip on Falkon!

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2022, 11:19:11 PM »
One of the main differences here is that Viper is an executable appimage browser.. it does not install like firefox, chrome, falkon etc.. so outside of a few random folders it keeps your pc clean :)

smhardesty

• watt-Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2022, 02:21:10 AM »
One of the main differences here is that Viper is an executable appimage browser.. it does not install like firefox, chrome, falkon etc.. so outside of a few random folders it keeps your pc clean :)

Funny you should mention that. Yeah, I knew it was and appimage. I got to thinking about where it saves the data and did a quick bit of searching. There must be a profile folder somewhere. Or is there?

I'm on my regular laptop running Mint 20.2 right now, but earlier this afternoon I did a whole bunch of random surfing on the experimental laptop with R10. I've had to change a couple of settings, but I can see that unless I run onto some weird problem between Viper and some website I visit, I could get to like Viper. Like the old pea brain I am, I didn't check Task Manager to see what the resource usage was. I guess I can do that tomorrow.

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2022, 06:53:10 AM »

profile folder.. that was a tough one to find.. i "think" i may have found it.. home folder, up, up, should be in /  .... then i went to tmp. there was viper stuff there.. but i am not sure if that is all there is... please let me know if you find other places!! I would like to know this one too lmao

so... in linux .. ctrl + alt + del to open task manager..
You will see Viper's app image sat there at 2.6MB

vipers usage should be the QtWebEngineProcess lines...

This was on my pc.. 1 core of a Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2ghz and about 8gb 3200MHZ DDR4 ram, give or take, on a vm box. only viper open.. running speedtest
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 04:12:43 PM by cheiron »

smhardesty

• watt-Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2022, 04:04:42 PM »
I'll be experimenting with Viper later today. I'm really curious to see what Viper uses on my experimental laptop. I'll report back after I get a chance to mess around with it today.

smhardesty

• watt-Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2022, 08:19:58 PM »
I seem to have developed a slight hitch in my get along with Viper. For some reason I can no longer execute the file. Every time I try and launch Viper I get the pop up window you see below. I haven't changed a thing on the laptop since I ran Viper last. The only thing that I did was shut the laptop down. I usually just let my Linux machines run for days and even weeks at a time without a shutdown or reboot. With company here all weekend I shut it down and moved it out of the way. Now, it's a no go on executing the file. It's no biggie. I'm sure there won't be a problem when I get R12 installed. I can run Viper without fail on my Mint 20.2 laptop and it has also been shutdown. Nothing changed on that laptop, just this one. Weird. Don't fret about trying to figure out what happened. I'll just continue to use Firefox until I get R12.