Author Topic: Beta Sign-ups  (Read 3889 times)

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Beta Sign-ups
« on: February 06, 2021, 06:36:48 AM »
If you want to sign up to beta test the new wattOS R12 - please send an email to beta@planetwatt.com - with your name, forum name, and preferred email for communications.

Once the beta release date is announced in the next couple weeks we will list the relevant topic areas here, and list of beta testers forum names here. You must have a forum account name (which we will share here) and valid email address (which we will not share).

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Beta Sign-ups
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 07:32:06 PM »
Hi folks,

Good news - beta testing is coming. There will be a separate message being sent out in the next couple days to the folks who have been selected for the first round of beta testing and some resources and guidelines. The general dates are as follows.

Beta 1 - based on 20.10 - should be ready for download and private link sent 3-21
Beta 2 - based on the beta 21.04 - should be ready for dowload and private link sent 4-11 (since the upstream should be beta final around 4-1/4-2)
Ubuntu 21.04 should be released 4-22 if things go as planned
We will target a release roughly 2 weeks after that date (depending on any show stopping bugs discovered in beta 2).

tks
biff

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 11:14:08 PM »
good news biff

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 07:54:31 PM »
So.. I would just like to give a quick summary of initial thoughts on the first Beta

Not that many bugs to be honest... We have internally fixed alot of them straight from testing ready for the next release.. and have listed a few we couldn't ready for Biff to add to his list of cures :)

I have been very surprised at just how smooth the beta was.. I ran mine on a virtualbox and i think although i threw 2gb of spare ram on the box (bit unfair comparison here as i have 3200MHz dedicated Ryzen tuned DDR4 ram) .. i only needed a total of 403MB of ram at idle with nothing running so once again. I was also only using a single core of my cpu too... (bit unfair though to mention this as i have a Ryzen 7 3700X 8 core/16 thread running at 4.2GHZ/core so i cant really say how well it will do on a much lower powered cpu) .. Biff has delivered a well oiled, low requirement pc specced distro.

So.. with that said.. i think just a report from @Leenie is in order as she uses an older machine to my modern one to get a comparison for you folks and we will update the next steps when they occur!

In the mean time .. if you haven't already.. check out the screenshots (i have done a quick video from my demo) here! [size=78%]https://planetwatt.com/newforum/index.php?topic=1287.0[/size]
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 09:32:47 AM by cheiron »

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 01:21:58 PM »
I intend to put up a screenshot to show my old machine soon, with the task manager open.

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 04:25:08 PM »
Hi Leenie. Thanks for posting your results in screens..
Good to get the comparison there between my modern high end and your lower end test rig..

My 416MB at idle.. i did get this down to 403.. but that was me bottomed out to your 384MB ..
cpu usage. my 0% to your 3% ..

I think we can safely call this another success for the low end pc spec market.. The only mull point though is there is ONLY 64Bit now... no 32bit flavour so this will limit the age of the pc's in use

Over to you then Biff