Help and Support > Linux and desktops

Debian (or Ubuntu) based LXQt distro?

<< < (2/3) > >>

blaze:
Hey Dan! You use one of my favorite words, iota! That is so cool  8) Back on topic. I like the combo LXDE/OpenBox. But I am not so sure that I will be a big fan of the "succsessor" LXQt. It is just too much stuff going on. KDEishy things, plasma and I do not know what. I hope for the future that it will be possible to strip it down and make a very lean LXQt/OpenBox combo out of it. Somthing without bells nor whistles. Sorry, I am not that guy.  :P

blaze:
Just wanted to add that I have had a look at Sparky dev 4.5 Openbox. Only checking the live session for now. Found it very interesting from my point of view since I am very into OpenBox and Debian on which it is based. Debian testing in this case.

Read on the Sparky homepage that they plan to release Sparky 4.5 at the end of this week. This time I will install the OB release on hd. The dev release  were a bit bloated to my taste but I can live with it. I am not that picky  ;D There were some quite nice solutions too. So some of the personal configurations that one might want to do are very simple, very  :o "user friendly"  ;)

I will "unbling it" to get it more in style with my personal b/w/g preferences of course, and will also probably dist-upgrade it to unstable. Stretch is in the freeze season now so unstable will slow down to a snail crawl anyway. And I do backup important stuff. Because sooner or later... ;D

Dan:
I feel like a kid at Christmas reading your posts about this! LOLOL!   ;D

blaze:
The show must go on!  N`est-ce pas?  :-\

Glad you liked it Dan, because here are a little bit more.  This thread has already derailed off topic so...  ::)

Booted the dev release once again, are actually posting this from it. I wanted to have a quick look at the installer so I would be mentally prepared for the "real thing" later on. Sparky comes with two installers to choose from, one simple and one advanced. Tried the simple first. Typical modern Linux GUI installer. Very easy, intuitive and recognizable from other distros. Click, type,point,  and :D

The advanced installer on the other hand takes you through a lot of choices. So if you feel the need for an install exercise, book a weekend at a cheap motel with cheap room service and go Geronimo! Joking of course, it is rather self explanatory, but nothing I would recommend to someone fresh out of the Linux customs office for the very first time. :)

Now the hard part. The wait for the new release. Patience.  ;) Then I let apt do an update in terminal just for the sheer fun of it. Wanted to check how many packages would be upgraded if it had been installed now. The answer were 392 packages to be upgraded, 11 new and 0 to remove. Would have been a jolly nice install session. :)

One question though. Should I change the thread title maybe, and add "Distrohop Inc" to it? ;D

Maroman:
I'm very satisfied with LXDE. but understand its time is very limited (since it uses gtk2 toolkit). have you tried kanotix? on the other hand (not based on Debian), what about fedora lxde spin?

cheers,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version