User Zone > General Discussion

Phone Browser Wars

(1/6) > >>

Dan:
Just wondering what folks prefer on their phones for web browsing.

After trying tons of them on my Android, I finally settled in with the Ghostery browser.

blaze:
Ooooops, confess that I am an old boring f... when browsing on my phone. Firefox there too... but my excuse is that I hardly do any real browsing on my phone. Just check the latest headlines, inbox, some social media... Nothing to get too excited about. :D

leenie:
Wow, this is prophetic. I just got a $20 tracfone just to learn the android system- KitKat. Google stuff is all in it. I can't make certain Google stuff I don't use stop updating. even after disabling them, uninstalling has the same effect, updates still come (what was uninstalled gets reinstalled). I will try this browser.  Mostly I will use the phone for emergencies because of a sorry old car...
I guess I need some good tutorials on tweaking. All the tutorials I have found are on how to use it. I am a real newbie with this one. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Dan:
leenie, mine is a KitKat too. Mine's also a tracfone. I actually love tracfone. My first one was a $20 KitKat with a 3.5" screen. About a year ago (I think), I bought a $79 phone with a 4.5" screen. Both phones were/are LG phones. Unless it's handled differently by phone manufacturer, this is what I did with all of the Google apps...except the Play Store of course...and yes, Android and Google are tied very close together.

I think if you root your phone, you can totally remove the Google apps. I've never tried rooting mine. It voids the warranty, and I don't know enough about Android to be willing to possibly mess something up and have to fix it.  ;D

So...I just disabled/uninstalled mine. I don't think it technically uninstalls them. Also, I do still get a message every once in a while that four of the major apps (Chrome, Maps, and 2 more) have updates available...I just don't let them update.

This is the process that I used for each Google app...takes a while, cause there's several of them! But it did disable them on my phone.

1. Go to System settings
2. Scroll down and click on Apps
3. Scroll RIGHT to All
4. Find the app that you want to disable, click on it, and...
    a) Click Clear cache (I don't remember if a window pops up here. I don't think it does).
    b) Click Clear data and click OK in the window that pops up.
    c) Click Force stop and click OK in the window that pops up.
    d) Click Disable and click OK in the window that pops up. Don't let the warning message scare you. I've never had any
        problems, but then again, I disabled ALL of the Google apps.

Following those steps in that specific order is what worked for me. Seems like I remember it saying that it would revert an app back to a previous version or something like that. Sorry, it's been a while since I've done this. I just remember the steps, because I wrote them down when I finally figured out what worked.

Mike:
This may be kind of surprising coming from a Linux user, but I use an iPhone. I use it mainly because the rest of my family uses apple products and we have family sharing set up. There are other browsers to choose from but I stick with the default (Safari) because it works well enough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version