Author Topic: More Information About WattOs and Some Ideas  (Read 1981 times)

Cadejo

• View Profile
More Information About WattOs and Some Ideas
« on: July 16, 2014, 09:54:55 AM »
All,

I was looking for more information about WattOS.  Specifically, who develops it?  What was the inspiration? 

Also, if we could put a sticky "Wish-List" thread.  I have a few suggestions to make it better out of the box. 

Specifically,
Startup folder.
wiccd
Debian menu (by default)
CUPS install script which takes care of the permissions, etc
SAMBA install script same as above
A "hard" xrandr control utility (vs the GUI), I had issues out of the box w/ virtual screens and saving the resolution. 

I'm loving WattOS as a replacement for Precise Puppy, which I ran for a good year.

Thanks team!

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: More Information About WattOs and Some Ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 01:50:50 PM »
Go here while it is still up: http://planetwatt.com/blogs

A lot of info there. I like your idea about a "Wish List"

Also this: http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/developer-interview-ronald-%E2%80%9Cwattos%E2%80%9D-ropp

Maroman

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 09:09:09 AM »
All,
I have a few suggestions to make it better out of the box. 

Specifically,
Startup folder.
wiccd
Debian menu (by default)
CUPS install script which takes care of the permissions, etc
SAMBA install script same as above
A "hard" xrandr control utility (vs the GUI), I had issues out of the box w/ virtual screens and saving the resolution. 

wattOS is as a matter of fact Debian remix. you have all in repositories and can do (almost) all by yourself. but some of your suggestions might be very crucial (wiccd instead of network manager?).

I have a question. is anybody using wattOS with testing repositories (as standard procedure to change from stable to testing)? it should work except update manager (there is any in testing).

cheers,

Cadejo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 08:06:09 AM »
Got it.  But I think that the out of the box experience is important for new users, what I'm suggesting means not having to dig in the .config/openbox/autostart for example (I added a line that says /home/username/Autostart/*)  I choose wiccd because I could not get my wifi interface to be detected/configured.

I think that we all had to switch to the testing repos in R8 if we needed to get specific things to work, like CUPS.  I'm not complaining, it's still rock solid and I like that it is built on Debian vs Ubuntu.