Author Topic: SOLVED - Screensaver State  (Read 2081 times)

navic

• View Profile
    • Navic209 YouTube Channel
SOLVED - Screensaver State
« on: July 26, 2014, 02:32:21 PM »
I have the screensaver set to disabled but on every reboot the screen blanks after 10 minutes.  When this happens I check the screensaver settings and the drop down still has disabled selected.  Just opening the screensaver window resets the disabled setting so the screen doesn't blank but this setting should be saved between reboots right?

Anyone else experiencing this issue or anyone know of a fix?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 07:49:55 PM by navic »

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
Re: Screensaver State
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 08:39:09 PM »
Which Watt version are you running?
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 08:55:50 PM »
If you don't want to use the screensaver, you could uninstall it or set the blank time longer.

teejay

• wattOS Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 01:54:38 AM »
You say "on every reboot the screen blanks after 10 minutes. "  I assume this means that if you don't change the setting then it will continue blanking every 10mins for the current session; yes ?   And, to be clear, are we talking about 10mins of inactivity, and not "10mins regardless of activity" ? 

If you choose&save a screensaver (ie not blank) for say 12 mins, does the screensaver start after 10mins or does the screen blank ?

As a comment, 10mins is a very specific amount of time - the sort of explicit timing which suggests something coded in a config file or even a system BIOS.
There are other reports of settings changes not "sticking", not solely in wattOS but I think I've seen other reports in these forums.   As I recall (ie no direct personal experience), generally the solution involves modifying a config file.  There are people in these forums who can help with that when the source of the problem is determined.

navic

• View Profile
    • Navic209 YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 07:48:39 PM »
The problem was resolved using the same method to prevent the screen from blanking on the Raspberry Pi - adding the following lines to ~/.bashrc:
Code: [Select]
xset -dpms
xset s off