Author Topic: Video projector  (Read 2431 times)

Alexandra

Video projector
« on: December 19, 2014, 07:35:48 PM »
I am considering installing WattOS R8 on my netbook (Toshiba NB510, Intel Atom,  upgraded to 2 GB of RAM). I do however need to give short talks quite often and I was wondering whether connecting to a video projector via a VGA cable is out-of-the-box, i.e. if the projector's screen is automatically recognized and handled.

Could anyone please confirm whether this works in WattOS?

Thanks in advance.

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Video projector
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 08:56:01 PM »
Hi Alexandra

It should work. I use the external HDMI and VGA on my laptop regularly.

Also if you install LXDE it has lxrandr which is a simple utility to set the resolution and turn monitors on and off. Usually the bigger thing to work through is extending the display vs mirroring, and various resolutions, etc.

In any case the combination of lxrandr, arandr, or straight xrandr will likely work. Attached is a screen of what lxrandr looks like with two monitors. (laptop and external)

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 09:01:42 PM »
One other caveat to consider carefully is that that netbook runs the infamous "Poulsbo" chipset - Intel GMA500 which in the past was problematic. But should be ok now.

I would be sure that you run the livecd mode first before installing to make sure it behaves as you expect and get the right screen resolution or we might have to work out the steps to get it that way.

tks...biff

Alexandra

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 01:17:59 PM »
Hi, thanks for your reply and sorry for my long delay (I had a deadline yesterday).

My netbook does indeed possess the Intel GMA500 chipset. Almost everything works with no fiddling needed: I get the native screen resolution, suspend works, and even the screen brightness buttons function as they should.

I am however unable to use my touchpad for tapping. The cursor moves, I can scroll using two fingers, but tapping does not register. I made sure tapping is enabled in gpointing-device-settings. Any idea what could be causing this?

I installed the 32bit version of WattOS R8 and I upgraded to kernel 3.16. I wonder if there would be any gain if I dist-upgraded to testing with regard to my touchpad tapping issue.

Edit: I meant Debian testing repos
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 01:24:58 PM by Alexandra »

Alexandra

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 02:46:41 PM »
I am however unable to use my touchpad for tapping. The cursor moves, I can scroll using two fingers, but tapping does not register. I made sure tapping is enabled in gpointing-device-settings. Any idea what could be causing this?

Scratch that, problem solved. The synaptics driver did not have a mouse button assigned to one-finger taps. I explained how to get the desired behavior in this thread.

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 06:47:03 PM »
Great news! and nice contribution, thank you :)