Author Topic: SOLVED su: Authentication failure  (Read 2097 times)

thriftee

• View Profile
SOLVED su: Authentication failure
« on: June 12, 2014, 02:37:21 AM »
I try the password I put in, but I get this error.  I'm pretty sure I'm entering as I typed it because I'm able to login from a reboot just fine.

Any ideas how to solve it would be appreciated...

thanks
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:31:12 PM by thriftee »

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

• View Profile
    • Japanese Information
Re: su: Authentication failure
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 04:05:24 AM »
There is already a contribution several times about "su":
http://planetwatt.com/newforum/index.php?topic=47.0

At first, please search this forum.
BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen. (ふうせん Fu-sen.) from Japan
Japanese Information http://installlinux.jimdo.com/linux-%E3%83%A1%E3%83%A2/wattos/

thriftee

• View Profile
Re: su: Authentication failure
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 12:30:29 PM »
Its like a mosquito that chases me around, LOL.  It bites me in the neck, then goes away for a bit, and when I'm not looking again, it bites me in the leg.  Its a little different each time.  I did search for su authentication failure, but I think its just because nobody else typed in that error message.  The next person looking will find this post.

I tried Ubuntu once and only lasted one day because it felt like I was doing work to make the computer happy instead of the computer working for me.

What I was doing (su from within a terminal session) did work for almost a week, and I don't understand why it stopped working, but I'm guessing you are saying it wasn't really supposed to work in the first place.

Now it appears I can get a root terminal session that can do a copy/paste only by opening a terminal session, then doing a

Code: [Select]
sudo roxterm
The normal admin terminal session on the menu being used here can't do a copy/paste even with clipit installed and that's why I'm using roxterm, so that I can copy and paste the screen output to avoid needing to rekey all the messages by hand.

Anyway, thanks for pointing me to that post.  I'll mark this solved since I now have a root terminal session that can copy/paste.  That was what I was trying to get...