Author Topic: creating wattOS live USB using *ubuntu [SOLVED]  (Read 2057 times)

trueriver

• View Profile
creating wattOS live USB using *ubuntu [SOLVED]
« on: June 21, 2014, 05:14:54 PM »
hi,
I am not even getting started here. This laptop is an ideal candidate for WattOS, it is of WinXP vintage but now runs Puppy and Lubuntu. I wanted to install WattOS r8 from a USB stick but the usual procedure seems not to work.

This is what I have tried, both from within sudo -i (ie effectively as root). And yes, I have done the obvious and checked the MD5 and tried more than one USB stick. And yes the stick is /dev/sdb1 (checked before the umount)

1. (assuming the iso is already hybrid)

umount /dev/sdb1
dd if=wattOS-R8-LXDE32.iso of=/dev/sdb1

2. (assuming it is not)

umount /dev/sdb1
cp wattOS-R8-LXDE32.iso wattOS-R8-LXDE32-HYBRID.iso
isohybrid wattOS-R8-LXDE32-HYBRID.iso
dd if=wattOS-R8-LXDE32.iso-HYBRID of=/dev/sdb1

In both cases the BIOS says "missing Operating System" when I select the option to boot from USB. Boot from USB has worked before. I can understand the Lubuntu isohybrid command failing to do the right thing, because the kernel is in a different place on a Debian install disk as compared to a Ubuntu one, but what is the right comment to use, please?

Can I mount the iso and use a command line utility from the iso to correctly write it to USB?

Any other, advice, please, that does not involve using Windo$e to create the USB stick from the ISO, and that does not involve a physical CDROM, neither of which this laptop has any more

best regards,
River~~
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 07:09:13 PM by trueriver »

trueriver

• View Profile
Re: creating live USB from Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 06:29:48 PM »
hi again,

this method was NEARLY right

1. (assuming the iso is already hybrid)

umount /dev/sdb1
dd if=wattOS-R8-LXDE32.iso of=/dev/sdb1

only it should have been

umount /dev/sdb1
dd if=wattOS-R8-LXDE32.iso of=/dev/sdb

In other words, we un mount the partition but write to the entire disk, as a hybrid iso already has a partition table built in...