Author Topic: Xorg.conf problems  (Read 1867 times)

salvaribeiro

• View Profile
Xorg.conf problems
« on: February 20, 2017, 02:00:21 PM »
Hi there. Although I do have some software analysis experience I'm somewhat new to both wattOS and Linux, so please excuse me if this is not the proper place to posting this type of question.

I've recently installed a 3D printer in my house and decided to use an old Pentium 4 I have as an interface for it. WattOS seemed like the best OS option, but I can't make it recognize my display, so the resolution is not enough to operate the software. After some research and a lot of trial and error I managed to make it work by running "X -configure" at the system boot as the root in advanced options. The problem is it doesn't save this configuration and every time I reboot the system I have to do it again.

Amongst other similar things, I have also tried disabling the X service from the "Ctrl+Alt+F1" console, running "X -configure" and them moving the generated "xorg.conf" file to the "/etc/X11" folder, but this also doesn't work. I don't know if this is a Linux specific question of if it is somehow related to the way wattOS distro is setup, so I'm a bit lost here. If anyone here knows how to make this work I'd really appreciate the help.

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
Re: Xorg.conf problems
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 07:26:45 PM »
what graphics card / chip are you running please

salvaribeiro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 04:14:21 PM »
It's a graphics chip integrated to the motherboard, I don't know the model. The CPU is a Pentium 4. But I don't believe this has anything to do with hardware, since it works perfectly as long as I run X -configure from the root terminal on the special options menu, before the system is fully loaded. Most certainly it has something to do with the way X stores it's configuration, but I'm not used to either Linux, Ubuntu or wattOS, so I don't know where to look for info about it.

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 04:19:37 PM »
In terminal ... run the following command

lspci | grep VGA

that will tell you what graphics chip you have.. I suspect... you have a nvidia chip

salvaribeiro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 10:21:23 PM »
It says it's a: "S3 Graphics Ltd. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]"

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 10:49:02 PM »
okay that's an open source graphics chip..

I think Blaze is probably the best for this.. Usually lurking on the forum :)