Author Topic: Slow boot  (Read 2865 times)

Zak

• View Profile
Slow boot
« on: December 17, 2016, 06:07:23 AM »
Hey everyone - glad to have this place to come to for help!

I recently upgraded to R10 and the boot up is really slow.  Shutdown is lightening quick, but boot up is painful.  I have some computer knowledge, but am not an expert.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to speed up the boot process or where to look for problems?

Thanks!
Zak

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
Re: Slow boot
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 10:12:32 PM »
I recently upgraded to R10 and the boot up is really slow.

Not sure that I have much help to offer. But out of curiosity, I wonder from what did you upgrade? Or is it just an expression, when you in reality did a clean install, and went from let`s say R9 to R10?

You have to find the boot log, to see if there is something out of the ordinary.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

Zak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 05:14:32 AM »
Hey Blaze!  Thanks for the reply. 

I had previously used R9 and that had a quick boot and shutdown.  Then I did a clean install and installed R10.

Thanks for the suggestion on the boot log.  Where do I find that?

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 08:11:26 AM »
To see current boot;

Code: [Select]
journalctl -b
It is a lot of text, so it is not easy to find the culprit. Added a link about it. At the moment I am on a straight Debian system, but it should work on R10 too. :)

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-journalctl-to-view-and-manipulate-systemd-logs

Read and Google away! ;D
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

Zak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 08:47:39 PM »
Thanks Blaze.  I will dig deeper!

oldhack

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 09:47:00 PM »
I've only just seen this post -and maybe you've solved your problem by now however, I suggest the following:  use -  # systemd-analyze critical-chain.
Also check out that the boot partition (drive uuid) is correct!

o.

Zak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 03:24:33 AM »
Thanks Old Hack.  I just ran that and had 5 lines appear in red.  I looked at the man pages and wasn't clear of the significance of these.  Do you have any thoughts on what these mean or what else I am looking for to determine the problem?

systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-26efdf04\x2de52d\x2d4859\x2dac00\x2d2269ce827ca0.service @11.574s +1.300s
home.mount @12.922s +318ms
apparmor.service @13.254s +3.608s
NetworkManager.service @17.918s +2.833s
rc-local.service @20.762s +3ms

oldhack

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 01:38:52 PM »
The lines that show up in Red are the items that are showing the delays in booting.  Run: #systemd-analyze blame, which will list the longest items to load and IF  a drive uuid shows as very slow? it might be trying to load an incorrectly identified drive uuid number
From this you can see the drive uuid (partition) that may be the problem loading. Check the drive partitions ( - just check the last 5 or6 letters/numbers) against the the actual letters in the  /etc/fstab) file, to check what drives it's trying to load, (It is easier to do this if you use 'gparted'.)
This is only my (non-technical) help I can offer based on my own experience.
O.

Zak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 06:37:41 PM »
Thanks for that idea Old Hack.  I just ran it and it shows this at the top:

9.050s dev-sda1.device

That is my /  drive,  which I am thinking is the one that should be loading.  9 seconds seems like a long time though.  Maybe not.  Any thoughts?

CharlieK

• View Profile
    • Just my little website
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 02:03:10 PM »
Though new in Linux world, I do have some experiences with this. Depending on your system, the one giving me issues is my Dell Optiplex 980, I'd say go into the BIOS and see how your SATA operation is going. Once I set mine from RAID ON to Legacy, all worked quite well and speedy.

Maybe not a direct Linux solution but if this is a cause, then who knows.

MicroWatt for me runs fast on Legacy, but Lubuntu did better with RAID on (not autodetect though).. And not sure why the change is like that, but hey, it worked. Hope it'll help you out.
Say Automobile ten times and it loses its meaning.
Say Coffee ten times and it continues to make me drool.

oldhack

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 03:02:04 PM »
Hi Zak, that time indicator by itself is not very helpful. Is that a start time or is that the loading time? The loading time is the best indicator of any loading delays and if that is a loading time then yes, that is somewhat long. As I said previously in systemd-analyze the critical chain usually shows the delayed items in red and the delay loading is the time shown AFTER the + sign. If your  / sda  boot drive is delaying then you should check your partition uuid number that grub is trying to load.
O.