Author Topic: Hello from Germany  (Read 3505 times)

berliner

• View Profile
Hello from Germany
« on: October 06, 2016, 05:23:47 PM »
Hello to all members here.

Finding wattOS was accidental while testing several linux distributions on a linuxmintuser-forum where somebody mentioned  Peppermint-7.

So I searched for that and in their forum somebody mentioned wattOS  ----> now I am here.

My experience with Linux is similar to many.
Used only Windows for years, never learned the details, only did what everybody seems to do: screening for Virus, installing Firewalls (Zone alarm etc), then buying or testing the next Internet-Security software and looking for free software, never sure if it crashes the system.

I didn't dare to touch Linux for a long time.
Then Windows-8 came and then Windows-10 and that pushed me to Linux.

When I did, I stumbled over LinuxMint, installed it on my PC ... and messed up because something went wrong with "Root" or something I didn't understand.

So I began searching for that mysterious thing like "mounting Root" and mounting "home" and after many hours or days of searching I found that it is  a  "/" for Root in the installer and  "/home" for the home partition.

So you get the impression of how some people crash against a wall when touching Linux for the first time.
I know for sure that I am not alone in this.
Some find the "/" faster , some give up and return to Windows.

In the meanwhile I installed LinuxMint with different Desktops.
 Elementary, Debian, Ubuntu, Peppermint-7, Sparky and others.

Some were way too complicated for me like Mageia etc. and I gave up after a few hours.
Some I liked and kept them a bit longer.  8)

Right now Peppermint-7 and wattOS R10 are my top distros.

I could list reasons but basically it's about speed on my old PC ( Dell Inspiron 560 ) and Toshiba-Satellite Laptop.

Speed and knowing how to add a quick-launch icon to the Panel.  :D

Fast booting  ( wattOS seems to be a few seconds faster than P-7 , it needs about 25 seconds until the login-screen appears and after login it loads the desktop very fast) and fast shutdown.

The browser should load fast and surfing smooth.  Firefox is good, but with the standard addons I have, it needs more time to start than Opera does, therefore Opera is my default browser now.

For germans who are not able to basically understand english language like I do, wattOS is certainly not the choice. Ubuntu or Linux Mint is because they have german forums.

My english is not the best, but somehow enough to understand instructions, so I can stay with wattOS and the fine support I see happening here in the forum.  :)

Maybe you consider it silly, but one reason I might stick to whatOS is this forum.  ???
It just loads and navigates much faster than the P-7-forum does.
Such a minor thing is important, believe me.

Anyway.

Thanks to the developers of whatOS and all who support it.
You have done and are doing a great job.   :)

Dan

• View Profile
Re: Hello from Germany
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 06:18:56 PM »
berliner,

Thank you for sharing your experiences and the kind words...I'm sure biffster (the developer behind wattOS) will appreciate it. Also, thank you for the contributions you've already made here. Welcome to wattOS!

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 07:51:00 PM »
Hi berliner, and thanks for your intro story. Do not worry, your English is fine. The good thing about wattOS is that it is based on Ubuntu, so things in the german Ubuntu forums will probably apply to wattOS too. :)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 06:21:43 AM »
Hi Berliner and welcome to WattOS.

We haven't had much success at the moment trying to find speakers of other languages to provide proper translation to the forums as yet so we can offer native help but we are looking.

Hope you have enjoyed your WattOS experience so far though.

Mike

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 12:14:56 PM »
Welcome aboard!

As for the forum, both Peppermint and WattOS are using SMF for the forum software. I suspect the speed issue with Peppermint relates to the servers that they are hosted on or possibly their customizations. Other than Discourse, one traditional BB style forum software I like is http://fluxbb.org/. It's super fast.

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 12:20:23 AM »
Welcome and thanks :)

I have actually chatted with the founder of Peppermint a few times and we were going to meet IRL when I drove through the area he lives to share a pint of beer, but the timing did not work out. Kendall Weaver is his name, and he's a real smart nice guy. I love peppermint ...He and Shane have stepped away from the project mostly, but they built the foundation that continues today.