Author Topic: Hi from Holland  (Read 2532 times)

CharlieK

• View Profile
    • Just my little website
Hi from Holland
« on: February 11, 2017, 04:13:10 PM »
I already wrote some of it elsewhere in this forum but found this one is a proper forum area to do so.

So I'm Charlie from Holland and new in the world of Linux. After years of using Windows I decided to, and force myself, to leave Windows and install Lubuntu on both my main system (built myself) as well as my secondary backup system (Dell Optiplex 980). I must say that sometimes, especially when new to it, Linux based distros can be very frustrating in terms of the ease that Windows offers.... but with some asking around in great OPEN communities one can always find a good working LEGAL solution that turns out to actually make a person smarter and always works.

Though I too once just downloaded whatever I wanted with a crack, hack and Serialz, for the last six to seven years I already explored Open Source and found that the solutions given there was often greater and more what I wanted than what I got with other products. So for me the Open Source side of things has always been of tremendous help to me. Only last week did I discover WattOS and fell in love with i3 immediately after I found it on Youtube. (Actually through a channel known as Linux and Other Stuff, not Biff. Sorry. hehe)

So I decided to install it on the Dell system. Currently I am using that to sync my files to and from through SSH as well as play some oldschool games on it; Diablo II Lod and Red Alert II Yuri's Revenge amongst others. The future plan is to get a better supported video card for my main system (ATI Radeon HD5800 is supported up to Ubuntu systems 14.xx) so I can use that as my game system again while the Dell will become my own secure web and file server so I can start the XHTML thing again after many years of not doing that stuff.

Currently I am also planning in to have MicroWatt-i3 R10 installed on my main system.

And that's about it.. I love the commandline a lot more than ever before. :D
Say Automobile ten times and it loses its meaning.
Say Coffee ten times and it continues to make me drool.

Dan

• View Profile
Re: Hi from Holland
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 06:34:31 PM »
It's most certainly a pleasure to meet you!  I would dearly love to visit Holland one day, so I envy you. For now, Rick Steves' travel shows are the closest I can get. LOL!

Welcome to Linux!

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 11:56:51 AM »
Cheers CharlieK, nice to meet you, again! Thanks for the intro. :)

blaze
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

CharlieK

• View Profile
    • Just my little website
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 08:22:24 PM »
Hi and thanks!  ;D
Say Automobile ten times and it loses its meaning.
Say Coffee ten times and it continues to make me drool.