Author Topic: Screenshots and Too large icons  (Read 3096 times)

CharlieK

• View Profile
    • Just my little website
Screenshots and Too large icons
« on: February 10, 2017, 07:57:29 PM »
Hi,

So I have two questions. One came with the other actually.

I wanted to make a screenshot of Abiword showing its icons way too large, about 500% too large. so..

1) How do I make screenshots? In Lubuntu it's as simple as hitting the Print Screen button et voila, it's in the home folder.
2) How can I make icon sizes smaller? I haven't seen this issue happening in abiword before.

Cheers. ^_^
Say Automobile ten times and it loses its meaning.
Say Coffee ten times and it continues to make me drool.

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
Re: Screenshots and Too large icons
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 08:26:02 PM »
PrtSc still takes screenshots... Shift + PrtSC allows you to take a screenshot of an area of the screen.. (something a good few folks forget)

You might need to install scrot also.. Cant remember if the R10 has screenshot out of the bag... I know some of the older Watt releases had to have scrot installed first.

Hope that gets you started for the moment anyways

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 08:33:13 PM »
Great input from cheiron.  :D

Which watt are you using? Microwatt or LXDE?

My personal favorite is to use the Xfce4 Screenshooter in LXDE. It will put it in your Accessories category of the menu (in LXDE). If you try to install it, it will also want to add the Xfce4 panel; however, you can install it without adding the panel by opening your Terminal and entering the following command...

sudo apt-get install xfce4-screenshooter --no-install-recommends

That will give you the full functionality of the screenshooter without installing the extra panel. I haven't used Microwatt in a while, but it should work the same. Hope that helps.

If Scrot isn't already included, you can install it and make a keybind to use the PRTSC key (if it doesn't do it automatically), so that when you hit the PRTSC it will take a screenshot and place it in your Home folder. It depends on which you prefer. A GUI (Xfce4 Screenshooter) or use Scrot (the PRTSC key) with various Terminal commands. It depends on your preference.  :)

CharlieK

• View Profile
    • Just my little website
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 08:41:34 PM »
PrtScrn does nothing for me unfortunately. Can't find the files back.

I am using MicroWatt i3. And will the Xfce4 work in i3? Same question for Scrot.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 08:43:25 PM by CharlieK »

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 08:56:29 PM »
ok for scrot sudo apt-get install scrot

I think you can only do a partial screen shot with scrot in command line via scrot -s

Correct me if i am wrong... but with i3 .. in i3 config....  bindsym --release $mod+z exec scrot -s

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 08:58:52 PM »
I can't remember if Scrot was/is included in i3. Sorry.

Read all of this before you make a decision...

You can try installing Scrot by opening your Terminal and entering...

sudo apt-get install scrot

Then try using the Prtscrn key. If it's successful, it will place the picture in your Home folder. Open the File Manager, and you will see it in addition to all of the other folders that are visible. If that doesn't work, it will take a key bind to make PrtScrn take a screenshot, and since I'm not on i3, I'm not sure what that keybind would be or where you should put it. Sorry.

IF...and I repeat...IF I remember correctly, i3 also uses the file manager PCManFM. If you install the Xfce4 Screenshooter (as outlined above), afterwards, you should be able to open PCManFM and click the "Applications" option in the left-side panel. Then click on "Accessories", and it should be there.

Again, this is the long way around, and I'm not on i3...so take all of this into consideration before you proceed. Perhaps an i3 user will chime in soon.  ;)

CharlieK

• View Profile
    • Just my little website
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 11:42:51 AM »
Well, I was indeed able to manage to make a screenshot. Scrot however didn't work so I went with solution #1. Works like a charm. Thanks. ^_^

Now the next is the Abiword issue with too large icons. I guess a pic tells a thousand words.

PS: I had to resize the image itself drastically to a smaller resolution to get under the 128KiB size limit for attachments in this forum. Original being 142KiB.

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 12:42:05 PM »
Hmmm...as to the icon size...I'm not sure. It could be an issue of the icon set that you're using may not have enough icons to cover every situation, so it's possibly adding icons that aren't sized for that particular instance. Again...I don't remember which icons are included in i3  :-[ , but have you tried a different icon set just to see if it happens with other icons?

That's all I've got on that, so I'll defer to other's input.

CharlieK

• View Profile
    • Just my little website
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 01:57:29 PM »
Well, I tried a lot, including editing the index.theme in /usr/share/themes/ but none worked so am going to find another odt editor that works better. It also seemed that in Debian based OS I am not the only one with such issues and that Abiword is not exactly the right package.

So I guess my next best option is research for a better program. But thanks anyways for the help. ^_^

As always grateful.

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 01:42:47 PM »
Hi CharlieK,

It's not the program, it's the icons! I suggest change your icon theme to nuoveXT.2.2. Also you can change certain icon behavior. Preferences>Customize Look and Feel>Icon Theme to change icon theme and Preferences>Customize Look and Feel>Other and untick Show images on buttons. I'm not sure if this is available in Microwatt R10.....

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:45:13 PM by leenie »