Author Topic: Dell 720 Printer (SOLVED)  (Read 9165 times)

Zak

• View Profile
Re: Dell 720 Printer
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2017, 07:14:08 PM »
Hey Blaze and Leenie - I have reinstalled and am beginning the process of trying to get the 720 working.  One thing I did last time that may have contributed to the problem is, in order to install the 32 bit libstdc++ 5 and libcupsimage2,  I need to install some i386 version of dependencies.   I just installed libgnutls30:i386 and it is in the process of removing most of the applications on my system.  I did this before, but didn't realize this was the culprit, did a reinstall, and that was where I started with you guys. So, this will be another re-install.   :-[  I no longer have Synaptic or gdebi.  Just tried to install Synaptic, but it has a lot of dependencies of files that were removed.  Two, glib-networking-services, and glib-networking-common are already installed, but it is still telling me they are dependencies.  All the applications have been removed except for KeyPass, Image Magick,  Laptop Mode Tools config, and Root File manager. 

So, my questions are:

1) Any idea why  libgnutls30:i386 caused all of the applications to be removed?
2) How do I install libcupsimage2:i386 when it depends on  libgnutls30:i386?  Is this just not possible and should I run a 32 bit OS?
3) When I run sudo apt-get -f install, I get a long list of packages that were automatically installed and are no longer required.  And, I am getting messages about held broken packages.  Not a question...just info.
4) Is there a site or book you would recommend for me to learn about these things other than bugging you guys and trial and error?

Loving the learning process......thanks for any thoughts.

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2017, 09:54:00 PM »
There has got to be a way without the i386 stuff. I'll be looking after I get home from work and the local water hole. :D

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 08:47:03 AM »
Hi Zak, my thoughts. :)

Since it is a real hassle to get things working, and it is important to get the printer up and running, you answered it yourself in #2. I would try with 32 bit. But then again I am a bit lazy, and do not like too much complications. :D

One question though, is it important for you to run 64bit? If yes, why? :)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

Zak

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2017, 04:19:13 AM »
Hi Zak, my thoughts. :)

Since it is a real hassle to get things working, and it is important to get the printer up and running, you answered it yourself in #2. I would try with 32 bit. But then again I am a bit lazy, and do not like too much complications. :D

One question though, is it important for you to run 64bit? If yes, why? :)

Hi Blaze - I think my only concern with the 32 bit is whether it will see all the RAM (4GB) and whether it will run as fast and efficiently on 32 bit..  I have compared the machine using the 64 bit watt install and a 32 bit liveCD and it appeared to be about the same.   Any thoughts on this?

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2017, 04:01:00 PM »
I had 32 bit install on an old Dell Dimension 4700. It did see all the ram. See this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/272873/what-is-the-maximum-amount-of-ram-that-ubuntu-32-bit-supports

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2017, 05:17:14 PM »
Do you do any real heavy lifting with your pc? If no, my guess is that you would do just as good with 32bit. You could try for a couple of weeks, if it does not work, backup and go for 64bit. Link below to some general thoughts on the subject, there are plenty of them to read. Google away! :)

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001498.htm

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2017, 05:47:38 PM »
32 bit support is 4GB Ram minus address space reservation. If you're pc supports PAE, then it "is" possible under certain conditions (pc, kernel, os) to use up to 32GB ram in 32bit via PAE :)

Other thing to remember with ram.. is its ram minus onboard graphics if being used.

Zak

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2017, 06:06:45 PM »
Hey guys!  I am now on 32bit Watt and up and running with printer AND keyboard.    It was very easy to install the printer with the 32 bit.  Now I just gotta get some ink.... ;)

I installed the following to get it to work:

1) Cups
2) libstdc++5
3) lexmark.z600-0.4.deb

Thank you so much for all your time and patience. 

Zak
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 08:32:51 PM by Zak »

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
Re: Dell 720 Printer (SOLVED)
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2017, 06:17:44 PM »
Glad to hear you're up and good :)

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2017, 06:52:33 PM »

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2017, 07:21:41 PM »
YAY!

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2017, 07:50:51 AM »
Congratulations! Great work Zak! Thank you for sharing it with us. :)