Author Topic: Wireless works on LIVE CD but not when installed to HD (SOLVED)  (Read 1300 times)

Swaphead

• View Profile
Wireless works on LIVE CD but not when installed to HD (SOLVED)
« on: January 08, 2017, 01:41:16 PM »
Hi, guys

I installed R10 on an old Dell laptop for my bro-in-law. Wi-fi worked on Live CD - I didn't bother checking the installed version. He told me it didn't work - so I got it back, went through the existing thread here  on
the dreaded Broadcom cards. No joy - hardly surprising as I didn't understand most of it, but it appeared that the software was installed. The router was showing, the password was asked for, then - nothing.

Maybe it's something to do with permissions? I thought
so I attempted to run the relevant jobs with "sudo", but couldn't figure out what they were.

So I tried creating an "Administrator" account with Users and Groups.
Logged in, connected to wi-fi with no problems.
Clicked on "Edit Connections" and "General", checked the box to allow any user to access the wi-fi.
Simple as that.

Some 'Buntu purists might condemn this solution, but at the end of the day I suppose you can always
delete the Administrator a/c afterwards.

PS. Using another hard-drive I tried out Lubuntu  and had the same problem and the same solution.
so maybe it's a generic 'Buntu quirk?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 09:48:48 PM by Swaphead »

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
Re: Wireless works on LIVE CD but not when installed to HD (Solved/Bodged)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 06:14:17 PM »
It is your system, (or bro-in laws) so you are the dictator over it, Swaphead. ;D

Personally I try to be pragmatic when in doubt, if it works and do no harm, then I am ok with it. But then again, I am the sole user of my Linux machines so there is not much worry about. :)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)