Author Topic: (Solved) Access to host computer's HDD  (Read 1564 times)

Zteve

• View Profile
(Solved) Access to host computer's HDD
« on: November 29, 2016, 12:18:44 PM »
I've just installed Microwatt R10 to boot from a usb stick. It's my first tiling interface OS, so just getting used to it, but so far very good.

Only difficulty is getting access to host computer's HDD. From PCManFM I can see the volume but when I click on it I get "Not authorized to perform operation". Tried a few things to get at it but no luck. I've used other distros from usb & not had the same trouble. I'm sure there's an easy fix.

Thanks in anticipation of a solution.

Zteve
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 08:30:50 PM by Zteve »

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
Re: Access to host computer's HDD
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 02:23:21 PM »
Hi Zteve and welcome to wattOS forums. :)

I am not running Microwatt...so this might be somewhat eeeh speculative. ;D Have you ticked off the boxes for Auto-mount in PcManFM? You can find them via Edit/Preferences/Volume Management. My next speculation is to check if there is something about automount in the i3 config file. Or check my link to links;

http://planetwatt.com/newforum/index.php?topic=965.0
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

Zteve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 06:35:45 PM »
Looked at the PCManFM settings &  config file but nothing untoward there. Interestingly, when I look at the HDD with the gnome-disk-utility it is unmounted, although PCManFM is set to auto mount. There's no problem looking at other usbs or cds on the system which auto mount fine. I tried to mount the HDD with  gnome-disk-utility but it tells me "Not authorized to perform operation (udisks-error-quark, 4)".  Seems like there's the need for some permissions but not sure how to get them or why they're not there in the first place. Any suggestions?

Those links you gave are very interesting. I'll give them a good looking at.

Zteve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 07:51:02 PM »
Got there in the end with sudo gnome-disks in a terminal. That took me to gnome-disks as root & allowed me to mount the HDD. From there I got the mount point. Clicking on it took me to PCManFM & I was in. A bit long winded, but problem solved.

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
Re: (Solved) Access to host computer's HDD
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 08:49:47 PM »
That is good to hear, and thanks for the thread edit! ;)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)