Author Topic: microwatt R10 - how do i install updates?  (Read 1866 times)

drizzt

• View Profile
microwatt R10 - how do i install updates?
« on: November 27, 2016, 02:18:17 PM »
Hi.
i am wondering about updates - a number of other distros have an updater software which shows a notification if there are updates available to install, and then when launched will show a list of updates.  Hope that makes sense? 
What is the equivalent (or similar) of that in wattos, or i guess pretty much any other (debian based) distros?  Is it the same thing as doing a apt-get upgrade?  Or the "Mark All Upgrades" in synaptic?  Or in synaptic, "Status" and "Installed (upgradable)" maybe? 
I like the idea how the list of updates are also categorised, like critical security, recommended, etc.  That way i can just update the most important first in case i don't have time to do all at that moment.

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
Re: microwatt R10 - how do i install updates?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 09:05:34 PM »
Hi drizzt, and welcome to the wattOS forums :)

I do not run the Microwatt editon, but the LXDE/OpenBox edition of watttOS. The first thing I always do when I start the pc is to run an update. I start a terminal and do;

Code: [Select]
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade etc...

It works well and I do not need to be irritated by some "software & updates" that suddenly pop up when I am in the middle of something else. You can of course use synaptic for your upgrades if you prefer that. But since I do not run Microwatt myself I can not answer your question if there are any "update manager" there.

Have fun with your Microwatt. :)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

drizzt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 03:20:12 AM »
thanks blaze!  I've tried many distros and have never been as happy with them as microwatt, though mainly due to performance but really the whole package - as i've only got a tiny EeePC Seashell netbook. it's a keeper for me - a big thank you to biff and the whole team.
still new and learning... the most familair aspect of gnu/linux is installation...  :-[

and thanks for your reply to my post.   :)

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 09:04:37 AM »
Just my pleasure drizzt, I hope the installation went well. :) Oh when I`m at it, here below is a link to links about i3. Just in case ;D

http://planetwatt.com/newforum/index.php?topic=965.0
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)