Author Topic: (Solved) Installer crashes (R10)  (Read 2433 times)

berliner

• View Profile
(Solved) Installer crashes (R10)
« on: October 15, 2016, 03:50:56 AM »
I tried to install wattOS R10 via Live-USB-stick to my PC (Dell Inspiron) yesterday but somewhere when it comes to the grub-installation, the installer crashes.

I downloaded a new copy of R10 and made a new USB-stick from it, but with the same result.
MD5-sum is correct, USB-stick creation is ok, it boots correctly .

Just to see if something on my USB-ports is wrong, I installed the new Ubuntu Mate 16.10 and it installed without an error.

Since there are no other error-messages than "sorry, the installer crashed. Do you want to send a report to somebody ?" I have no clue what the problem is and what to do.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 08:40:14 AM by berliner »

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
Re: Installer crashes (R10)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 06:35:54 AM »
Which method did you use for writing the usb stick? Do the live session work well? Is it possible to try the install on another machine? And is it possible to try to install from cd/dvd? Did you use the same method for Ubuntu 16.10 as for R10?
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

berliner

• View Profile
Re: Installer crashes (R10)
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 08:39:39 AM »
I used an app called "mint stick" or  "create live usb stick" which is part of Peppermint 7 and other distros.
With Ubuntu Mate 16.10 and every other distro I tested it, the installer works correct.

In the meanwhile I put whatOs R10 iso  on an usb-stick which has  multi-system installed on it.
http://liveusb.info/dotclear/index.php?pages/install
Strange enough. It installed without errors from the multi-system usb-stick. I am writing this posting from whatOS R10 .

Last time when I installed R10, I used the above mentioned create live usb stick  method and it worked.
It is a mystery which I cannot solve and since R10 is now installed, I forget about it and mark this thread as solved.

WildRabbit

• View Profile
Re: (Solved) Installer crashes (R10)
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 11:12:42 AM »
I was having the same problem.  I was using Rufus to create the image on the USB.  I found that if I used the writer as IMAGE it would crash during the install.  But, when I did the write as DD everything installed smoothly. I had the same issue with LXLE.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 02:39:30 AM by WildRabbit »

gweber

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 01:07:26 PM »
I've had the same problem with wattOS-R10-32.iso (downloaded today) installing on an 12 year old Thinkpad R50e. Language selected was Brazilian Portuguese.

First I wrote the image file to a usb stick with SUSE Studio Imagewriter.

On first installation (not connected to a network) the system reported a problem near to the end of the installation process (after grub installation).
The system did boot but software installation was broken, no /etc/apt directory.

The second time, I connected the machine to a network and asked for packages to be updated during installation. The same problem happened but this time with a bit more info: the installer reports a problem with ubiquity 2.21.63. UbiquityDebug says Gtk-message Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar".

The system boots, but language preferences were not applied. Not sure if one is related to the other.

After reading this post I used dd to write the image to the usb stick, but I had the same problem as on the second attempt.

If some of you could tell me where the installation logs are I would be happy to post them here.

best wishes

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 06:04:29 AM »
Good to hear that you got things working berliner. :) gweber since the same problem keeps coming back to you, even when you use the dd method. The easiest thing to do first is simply to download the iso again, dd, and see what happens. The first thing that comes to my mind is that there might be something wrong with the iso since the problem persists though you have tried different methods when writing to the usb stick.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

Dekorte01

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 02:19:31 AM »
I had the same problem with installing watt OS R10. First made a live usb, no problems, but when I installed the OS it said at the end of the process: 'The installation crashed.' I send a report and after that I tried again. Then it works :) The only problem is the sound. That works not proberly. I have an ASUS EEE PC notebook.