Author Topic: Income Tax Software  (Read 11979 times)

Dan

• View Profile
Income Tax Software
« on: October 06, 2016, 03:12:18 PM »
Hi guys!

I do our taxes each year...a real pain, because my wife is a contracted travel agent...which means a lot of extra work on different areas of the tax return.  ;D ;D ;D

Anyway...I've used both H&R Block and Turbo Tax. There's another one that I've tried, but I can't remember the name. Anyway...I prefer Turbo Tax, because it's more user-friendly, but I use H&R Block simply because it's cheaper.  ;)

My questions are...

1. Has anyone here used either of those tax software products on Linux with Wine or PlayOnLinux...or...
2. Do you know of others who have...or...
3. Do you know if using such software on Linux is possible with Wine or POL?

I keep one Windows computer just for this purpose. If it wasn't for doing my own taxes, that computer would be Linux too.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 03:14:35 PM by Dan »

Mike

Re: Income Tax Software
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 03:19:45 PM »
I do everything online these days. Filed 2015 taxes using Turbotax online and have used Taxslayer and Taxact in the past. For tracking finances and budget I stick to spreadsheets.

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 03:38:30 PM »
TaxAct...that was the one whose name I couldn't remember!

Did you use TurboTax on Linux?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 03:40:18 PM by Dan »

Mike

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 04:28:48 PM »
Yes, on Linux but it's all online. You don't need to install software to e-file.

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 04:42:41 PM »
Okay...I guess my hesitation is possibly from my experience with both H&R Bock and TurboTax. From what I recall, if you have certain deductions and claims, you have to upgrade the software to accommodate those...which means paying to access their software to give one access to make those claims and/or deductions. I'm not opposed to that cost, but the software doesn't state that it works on Linux...only Windows and Mac. Hence my reservations regarding it's compatibility with Wine or POL.

Sorry if I'm repetitive. :)

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 05:13:58 PM »
One last thing...and maybe my mind is just not catching on for some reason...

I've never tried either H&R Block or TurboTax strictly online...I have used TaxAct online for my daughter. I've always purchased the software (at WalMart) to install on that one particular computer. So that makes me wonder...rather than purchasing the software beforehand, is it possible to start online, purchase the upgrade, and continue online without having to install anything? Hmmm...

I'm sure the costs would be roughly the same, but if it means not having to install anything and do it only online with Linux... :D

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 12:37:20 AM »
Okay Mike...I think I've figured it out. Sorry I'm a little whack-a-doodle today!  ;D

After perusing each website, it appears that TurboTax, H&R Block, and TaxAct all offer online filing for what we would need. TurboTax is WAAAAY higher than the others. H&R Block is next, and TaxAct is WAY cheaper than the others. Regardless which we would use, we would have to use the most expensive one since my wife is considered self-employed.

When I used TaxAct for my daughter last year, it was pretty simple...but then again, she just needed the EZ file. With the price, I think I'll try it for us next year and hope for the best.

Thanks for putting up with my seeming stupidity!  ;D ;D ;D

Mike

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 12:04:17 PM »
Glad you got that sorted out!  :)

Taxact is definitely cheaper but I recommend putting your information into both to see if you get the same return (or tax due). You don't have to pay until you actually file so it doesn't hurt to see if one does a better job than the other.

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 02:28:18 PM »
Yeah, for some reason, I had it in my head that only the EZ form could be done online.  ::)

As to filling out two sets of forms...hmmm...that would be a lot of work with what I have to fill out and submit. It'll depend on how I feel when the time comes as to whether I'm up for the challenge.  ;D

The good news from all of this is...

That computer is no longer bound to Windows!  ;)

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 01:23:51 AM »
Thought I'd give my personal review on this topic...for what that's worth... ;D

I just finished doing our taxes with TaxAct. My wife asked about it on her Travel Agency's Facebook page, and several people gave it rave reviews...so...I went ahead with it.

For anyone interested...

I wouldn't personally recommend TaxAct unless you're a stickler for details; which means, paying EXTREMELY close attention to "options" rather than being asked specific questions (like TurboTax and H&R Block does) to complete the different steps.

Compared to TurboTax and even H&R Block, it's EXTREMELY easy to miss deductions and even pertinent information that's required. It took me about 2 1/2 hours to fill out our taxes with TaxAct; whereas, TurboTax and H&R Block took roughly 1 1/2 hours...give or take. I had to keep going back and filling in information that I missed. Plus, it asked me for information at one point, then when I got ready to e-file, I had to enter the same information with even more detail...too much to explain!

Now, I'm basing this off of past experiences with both TurboTax and H&R Block, so there could be some changes in both of them that I'm unaware of.

Total finished cost was $70. Not enough savings for the problems I ran into...but that's me.  >:(

They asked for a rating of 1 - 10 as to whether I'd recommend it to others...I gave it a 5.