Author Topic: Installation of VPN fails on wattOS R10  (Read 2502 times)

berliner

• View Profile
Installation of VPN fails on wattOS R10
« on: October 05, 2016, 07:43:48 PM »
I created the VPN-connection according to the instructions here
http://planetwatt.com/newforum/index.php?topic=742.0

When I click on the vpn-connection, there is action but the lock disappears , then the network manager tries to connect again ...  until it gives up and there is no vpn-connection.

I ran into problems while creating the VPN-connection as described.
The "key.key" file did not open with leafpad, it opened with  Archiver.
In order to paste the key into it, I had to change the settings of the file to get it opened with leafpad.

I tried the instructions on the vpnbook.com website too and managed to get a VPN-connection, but that was somehow a mistake because there was no way described to logout of the VPN.
I had to reboot my PC to find myself on the normal Ethernet connection.

Does somebody has an idea what to do ?

The following thoughts came to my mind.
In Point 7, Dan says:
- Copy all of the text between the <ca> </ca> tags and paste it into ca.crt file that you made.
I therefore copied not the tags + text between,  but only the text.
Maybe I should include the tags ?
My english is not good but from my understanding the tags don't belong into the ca.crt file.
Am I correct ?

Another thought:
Maybe something is wrong with the text files I created ?
Here is a screenshot of the files which are located in the folder created for the VPN.

Why are there questionsmarks on the crt. files and why is the .key  file shown as "Apple Keynote 5 ..." file ?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 08:03:36 PM by berliner »

Dan

• View Profile
Re: Installation of VPN fails on wattOS R10
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 08:41:07 PM »
Hi berliner...sorry for you trouble.

Welcome to wattOS! I'm the one who gave the VPN installation instructions. I haven't tried installing a VPN on R10 yet. I'm quite busy at the moment, but I should be able to try installing it within 2 - 3 hours to see what I can deduce. I apologize for the delay.

Until then, Mike (a member here) has also suggested a different VPN that looks good and possibly more preferable than the other one. You might want to check into it also. Here's a link to that forum post...

http://planetwatt.com/newforum/index.php?topic=862.msg2578#msg2578

There are installation instructions on their website.  :)

berliner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 08:52:52 PM »
Thank you, Dan.

I am using Bitmask on all distros I am testing right now.
It delivers almost the same speed than the pure connection without Bitmask. I like it.

But unfortunately I cannot install it in WattOS R10.
Some nasty error-messages occur and it just does not install. No idea how to solve that.

I have tried some of the free VPN-addons in Firefox and Opera.
There are a lot of them nowadays.

Some are fast for a few days for testing, then the speed is reduced for the free VPN and you got to pay for premium.
So Bitmask is still my best choice for a free VPN.  No need to configure the VPN with the network manager.

In Opera they offer a built-in VPN. Nice idea, but I am more than disappointed with that because that VPN goes off and on all the time.
Most of the time it is off, has no connection and you know what that means when you open a new website.
It will not load.

When I find time I will write to Opera developers.  Better no free VPN than such a one which does not work properly.

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 09:18:59 PM »
Ahhh...I think I know what could be the problem then.

Look at this...

http://planetwatt.com/newforum/index.php?topic=918.msg2445#msg2445

This has been the culprit for people who have trouble installing things. If you haven't already enabled that repository, that should fix your problem.  :D

berliner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 10:14:33 PM »
Dan,
checking that Recommended updates (xenial-updates) solved my problems with installing skype on wattOS, but unfortunately not with Bitmask.

Have to search further for a solution.

Here is the instruction for Bitmask from their website:
Code: [Select]
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus)
To install

sudo -s
add-apt-repository "deb http://deb.bitmask.net/debian xenial main"
wget -O- https://dl.bitmask.net/apt.key | apt-key add -
apt update
apt install bitmask leap-archive-keyring

Adding the repository works.
Now I will post the terminal return for the "wget" command
Code: [Select]
root@franz-Inspiron-560:~# wget -O- https://dl.bitmask.net/apt.key | apt-key add -
--2016-10-06 00:12:18--  https://dl.bitmask.net/apt.key
Resolving dl.bitmask.net (dl.bitmask.net)... 37.218.242.148
Connecting to dl.bitmask.net (dl.bitmask.net)|37.218.242.148|:443... connected.
ERROR: cannot verify dl.bitmask.net's certificate, issued by ‘CN=Let's Encrypt Authority X3,O=Let's Encrypt,C=US’:
  Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.
To connect to dl.bitmask.net insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
root@franz-Inspiron-560:~#

Here I am stuck and lost.
Tried to somehow use "--no-check-certificate" and got only error-messages.

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 11:49:08 PM »
berliner,

We're learning this together!  ;D

I just tried installing bitmask, and I got the same error as you did. However, I ignored the error and continued on with the installation according to the instructions. Everything installed fine, and though I'm new to Bitmask, it appears to be working properly.

I'm in the US, and I chose Germany while trying different things with it, and it is showing me as being in Germany. I'm seeing German writing on web searches, and the IP that's showing definitely isn't my IP.  ;D

I don't know that this is necessary, but before I installed Bitmask, I went ahead and enabled the Xenial Backports repository. Again, I don't know if that's necessary...

After installing Bitmask, I ran updates through the terminal to see if I would receive an error message regarding the Bitmask repository, and I didn't get one, so perhaps the keyring was added during the installation...I'm not sure.

I'm going to try this on my 64bit version (without enabling the Xenial Backports) to see if that is necessary or not. I'll post my results in a little while. I'll also watch the installation more closely in the terminal to see if the keyring is added.

berliner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 12:20:54 AM »
Dan,
I have checked the Xenial Backports repository too, just in case ...
but didn't help.

I dared to install it in spite of all the security warnings like you did.
It worked and now I have my good old Bitmask running in wattOS too. 

Thanks for your help.   :)

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 02:21:49 AM »
I tried installing it without Backports, and it wouldn't install. Backports must be enabled in order to install bitmask.

...and yes, the keyring is added and installed during the actual installation. Strange that they want you to add it beforehand and doing so causes the error...but who am I to know the intricacies of such things!  ;D

For anyone else who may be following this, when you turn on Bitmask the first time, you'll get a pop-up window titled "Unlock Login Keyring". Just enter your username's password...not the Bitmask password.

Glad we got it sorted out berliner! It adds a lot of dependencies, but privacy is worth it to me!

And thank you Mike for suggesting Bitmask! I've been meaning to try it, but until now I had neglected to do so. It's much easier to install and use than the VPN instructions that I gave a couple of years ago.