Author Topic: Phone Browser Wars  (Read 19149 times)

Dan

• View Profile
Re: Phone Browser Wars
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 01:22:37 PM »
Hi Dan, I tried it on pc, it was kind of heavy. When I had it  open task manager said over 1100 mb ram used with one page open.

Yikes!  :o

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 01:17:46 PM »
I have found a really good browser for my low spec phone. It has way less permissions than Brave browser. It's called Private Browser. After hearing Kim Komando say to check those permissions, there have been quite a few changes in my phone.

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 09:51:58 AM »
Thanks for the tip leenie, will check it out. Tryyng to get an outdated tablet to work for reading news and Linux forums. ;D Have tried some different browsers with very varying result. Opera mini works badly, so it is usable at some sites. The regular full featured browsers are not compatible with the tablet anymore, like Firefox  :( etc...

Still have to find out exactly how Text Browser works, it sems promising. Wish I have had more experience wtih different text browsers for Linux now.. Have seen this Private Browser in the Play download thingy so it is next on my list. :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 09:06:46 AM by blaze »
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 08:08:30 PM »
Blaze, be sure to read my review in the play store. There are some tips to run it!

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 09:06:04 AM »
Thanks for input leenie. Will do some testing of Private Browser, Opera Mini, and Text browser. The main problem though is the tablet. It is old, low spec, and the web is constantly getting more and more high spec demanding. In the end one has to consider which fights it is worth spending time on. :)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 01:34:24 PM »
Read about Private Browser, it is based on Lightning Browser and very light.

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2017, 05:39:39 PM »
Well, in the end I have landed on mini opera and private browser. They work well enough for checking some Linux forums and news when it has to happen on the go so to speak. Will not dig any deeper into this, after all it is not that much more "work" to turn on the lappy. :)

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2018, 11:18:15 AM »
Hello friends! I hope you're all doing well!

Long ago, I had settled in with the Ghostery browser on my Android. It was wonderful (for my needs). Unfortunately, its latest update had MAJOR issues and rendered my entire phone unusable! It would completely freeze my phone...even without opening the browser!  >:(

I was finally able to uninstall it.  8)

Since then, I've been using the Via browser. It's a tiny download...no ads...and works well.

Take care everyone!  :)

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2018, 03:26:22 PM »
Hi Dan

Yeah Via is a nice browser. I've used it for a while now on my Note 4..  Enjoyable and simple to use.

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2018, 08:17:43 PM »
Thankfully, I was able to reinstall the old Ghostery Browser. I turned off the automatic updates on my phone. So far it still works. Via is good browser. Also the Private Browser by Tabero is very light and works well.

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2018, 09:03:37 AM »
Caved in and got me a new phone.  Android, from one the BIG brands. ;) Will go for the default "Browser", I use the internet so little on my phone so I have decided to not give a f¤#¤%#  ;D

I prefer my lappy whilst traveling the web. :)

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 12:35:04 PM »
Caved in and got me a new phone.  Android, from one the BIG brands. ;) Will go for the default "Browser", I use the internet so little on my phone so I have decided to not give a f¤#¤%#  ;D

I prefer my lappy whilst traveling the web. :)

oh the irony..... you N00B!!!!! after all that lmao

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2018, 09:06:34 AM »
^lol, but when it it comes to apps, I feel really apolegetic.  ::)

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2018, 02:09:25 PM »
Hi blaze, be sure to check the permissions for every app you install. Some apps want access to your phone numbers. I also disable or uninstall all apps I don't use. There is a way to hibernate apps you cannot uninstall so they won't run in background and suck up the battery. Maybe time for a new topic, "Let's make Android lighter and faster."