Author Topic: Compared to Lubuntu  (Read 7724 times)

bob_u

• View Profile
Compared to Lubuntu
« on: January 02, 2016, 07:13:31 PM »
Hello WattOS community,

What are the major differences between WattOS and Lubuntu?
What's removed or modified to make WattOS lighter?

I've been running R9 with LXDE for a few days.  So far things seem OK.
Project plan:  Setup Owncloud and a wifi access point for a "desert island" file sharing server.  About 80% complete.

Running on an older Dell laptop.
http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-700m/specs/
Overcame some minor issues with forcePAE, but that's a Pentium-M bug.

Bob U.

ManWithShed

• View Profile
Re: Compared to Lubuntu
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 02:56:10 PM »
Hi Bob,

I am a newbie here myself, so unfortunately unable to answer your initial question. However, I am quite interested in your file server project.  Have you made any progress with it?

Rog

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 04:45:21 PM »
Hey Bob!

Biff should be about pretty soon to discuss this with you!

Wattos is alot lighter than lubuntu on resources due to how biff has written it along with choices of applications.

Its a bit to get you started for the moment.  I'll try and expand further when I get home and not sneaking this in on my phone at work

Dekorte01

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 09:03:31 AM »
Hello,

I am still curious too :)

Marcel

tukoz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 10:07:59 PM »
Also Lubuntu doesn't ship an i3 desktop ready to use, and that one is lightning fast! And the former has gotten quite fatter somewhere between 12.10 and 14.04 (official requirements honestly reflect that, forget to lighten the cause behind though).

+1 I also like to learn on that topic.

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 06:10:16 PM »
WattOS has mainly been based around a custom LXDE body with a lot of internal edits by Biff along with very carefully selected packages to make it very streamlined and fast.

You can see a little bit here on our blog page.. feel free to explore further on the other pages and come back to this thread with any further questions and we'll see what we can do for you

http://www.planetwatt.com/blogs/1/16/watt-os-r7-new-release-info

Yes... I know this is for the R7 release and we're currently +2 ahead with R9 and R10 about to grace us, but it's purely a reference point for something to do :)

bob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 03:32:31 PM »
Lubuntu will be changing over to LXQT when 16.10 will be released, worth it? dunno, you tell me.

WattOS doesn't come with all the crap Lubuntu does, so WattOS will be lighter on resources.

Mike

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 04:47:01 PM »
As far as I know, QT as increase the amount memory used compared to LXDE.

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 10:45:54 PM »
The LXqt vs. LXDE question came up before biff started R10. The general consensus here on the forum was that LXqt wasn't really liked, and that LXDE would be preferred for as long as possible. Whether biff chooses to use it in the future...?

Mike

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 12:06:57 AM »
I don't blame him if he chooses not to. JWM is a great stacking wm in my opinion. Combine that with some helpful scripts or tools and it can nearly match the functionality of a full desktop environment.

Kyle

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 04:36:14 PM »
I'm an ex-user of Lubuntu. I have used the 14.04 and 16.04 version but was looking for something even lighter... I have tried many different lightweight distros and WattOS is one of the leaner choices available. I am not a user that keeps the "default" applications, I usually remove nearly everything that is preloaded (due to different preferences) but I think WattOS has optimized LXDE (or the backend for that matter) because it runs slightly faster (and uses less RAM) than Lubuntu. I would be interested in hearing Biff's response to what and how much he edited (rough estimate is fine, of course).

Mike

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 04:22:20 PM »
I was going to say it'll be harder to make an LXDE distro in the near future because of lack of development but I was thankfully proven wrong this morning. Looks like a new site was made for it: http://lxde.org/. This is a good sign! I should have known though...nothing ever truly dies in the open-source world.

alpage2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 06:53:05 AM »
I am running R10 on my Acer One Netbook: AOA110. WattOS runs well and has given it a new lease of life - it had become dreadfully slow with lubuntu. Debian LXDE was marginally faster than lubuntu, but WattOS is distinctly faster than both.

I was beginning to consider Gentoo, and WattOS has spared me a huge learning curve  :D

Alan

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 11:10:15 PM »
Nice Alan...good to hear you had good results.

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 08:49:12 PM »
I was beginning to consider Gentoo, and WattOS has spared me a huge learning curve  :D

Alan

;D
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)