Author Topic: Obscure mouse bug  (Read 9514 times)

pccobbler

• View Profile
Obscure mouse bug
« on: September 02, 2016, 03:06:48 PM »
I saw a bug which most people would never see. I have two PCs using the same monitor, KB, and mouse. The monitor is switched via a DVI switch from South Korea. The KB and mouse are switched by separate USB switches, each consisting of a rotary switch. All three switches are 100% dumb, meaning no circuitry. Sure, I could use a KVM, but I like this arrangement better.

This bug appears when booting. The mouse is unresponsive (I can see the cursor in the middle of the screen). I can eliminate the problem by rotating the switch to the other position and back again, so this is not serious. I have not seen this problem with other Linux distributions or Windows. And in case it is not clear, I am NOT switching back-and-forth between this system and the other (the other system is playing Internet music while I play with a Linux distribution on this system).

I would be happy to test the next alpha release, as it doesn't take long to build a test system.

P.S. Thanks for not using the default LXDE logon screen.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 03:09:59 PM by pccobbler »

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Obscure mouse bug
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 05:12:19 PM »
Hi there...refer to the sticky mouse related post in the R10 forums, try that and see if it changes the behavior. It does not appear directly related, but who knows...it might :)

Thanks for the details.

biff
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 05:21:34 PM by biffster »

pccobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 07:05:20 PM »
You are referring to "wattOS-R10 and the Mouse who slept"? That's a little different than my situation. I am using an old wired Logitech USB mouse, but the problem appears right after logon so there is no timing out. And this is on a desktop, not a laptop, with Sandy Bridge processor and 6-Series chipset. All that said, your solution fixes the problem. Thanks, biffster.

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 07:57:00 PM »
Thanks, I knew it was different, but since its related to USB peripherals, it was worth "experimenting" with it since its an easy thing to try. One of the reasons I love open source is that you can just about tweak/try anything. :) Glad it worked.