Author Topic: wattOS-R10-released  (Read 5828 times)

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
wattOS-R10-released
« on: September 01, 2016, 09:59:53 AM »
Greetings all - rather than be completely duplicative - below are the basics. Head on over to the downloads and get your copy.

Torrents have been uploaded to Linux Tracker - seeding has begun - Direct downloads are available also.

Head here http://planetwatt.com/new/index.php/2016/09/01/wattos-r10-released/ for the details

Downloads here http://planetwatt.com/new/index.php/downloads/

As I mentioned on another post, there will be a slight delay in Microwatt as its not up to par yet, so look for that announcement as well soon. (probably a few days to a week). but the LXDE 32 and 64bit versions are available now.

- Will be sending an update to distrowatch - Once that goes public, there is always a chance that the websites could get knocked offline as I deal with this yearly with my hosting provider. I have done some things to mitigate that (cloudflare), but it still could happen, so if the website or downloads are offline, thats likely why as there is a storm for a few days once distrowatch picks up the release. So please be patient....(its a good thing :) )

***A couple of known issues*** and I will add them to the wiki once I get a few hours of sleep :)  - First two are not entirely new, but new people might now know as these are common problems.
- Installer works with whole drive encryption (LVM) but breaks if you choose home directory encryption on install - so either encrypt the whole thing, or encrypt home after install. (will put instructions on wiki on how to do that)
- Installer will break if you try to download updates/third party software while installing - since there is already flash and streaming/music support, you don't really need to do that anyway, but for those who like to check all the boxes - you have been warned :)
- Web browser will be slow to launch the first time - (only on liveCD and first time after install). I left the settings default for firefox, so it opens two tabs which takes more resources of course and loads some content. I did this to leave firefox completely stock from a settings/privacy/homepage standpoint so users can decide what privacy settings/home page they want, etc. rather than undoing something. Again will be slow first launch of liveCD and first time after install, but once that is done - it will be normal.
- CD images are a little bigger - I added DKMS and broadcom chipset support to cast a wider net for wireless chipsets so people are not stuck on the LiveCD with no wireless, or suddenly no wireless after install. This should help some of that as the expense of having to add some additional libraries.
- Microwatt delay - as noted above. Its coming, but the installer was a bit too dodgy (50/50 success rate) to release, so I decided LXDE now and Microwatt once it gets better :)

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 10:04:20 AM by biffster »

teejay

• wattOS Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: wattOS-R10-released
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 10:10:54 AM »
.... aaaand over we go to Downloads !     :) 

popeyus

• Just me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 10:56:30 AM »
Yeah, can't wait . . .  :) Thx Biff.

teejay

• wattOS Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 11:47:58 AM »
R10 64-bit d/l and MD5 OK.  (At UTC+10, I get in before the DW crowd are aware   :)  )
Sending this from Firefox in R10 live. 
Nice work, Biff.

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 04:13:33 PM »
good call teejay...Distrowatch sent me a confirmation that they received my notification and will be posting later today. Which likely means the site will go down for a couple hours....I hope not, but it has every other time :)

wattoslove

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 09:19:18 PM »
Hello, very nice Wattos R10.
64-bit Wattos R9 190 megabytes of RAM,
Wattos R10 64bit using 255 megabytes of RAM.
Just so you know :)
I also recommend lighter Palemoon instead of Firefox :)

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 12:37:20 PM »
Finally a quiet moment in a busy life. Installed R10 32bit to an old eeepc. So far so  8)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)