Author Topic: still using R8  (Read 6942 times)

Maroman

still using R8
« on: February 21, 2017, 06:16:43 AM »
installed on asusu laptop more than two years ago. still in use. any problems. wattos R8/debian wheezy is one of the best (at least for me).
I'm thinking on upgrading to devaun jessie. probably, due to dependency reasons, the only problem with network manager (wicd should be installed instead ?). is there anyone who did this.

cheers,

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
Re: still using R8
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 03:38:19 PM »
We would normally advise not to upgrade the base as wattos is written to it and upgrading could potentially  break things.  I'll hold this comment up until Biff or one of the other senior members advise other (fixes etc for upgrading )

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 05:54:45 PM »
I agree with cheiron. Clean install is the only way.

Maroman

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 07:47:23 PM »
wattos R8 is as a matter of fact Debian remix (=100% compatible with Debian). and, look here https://git.devuan.org/dev1fanboy/Upgrade-Install-Devuan/wikis/Upgrade-to-Devuan. if you change repos, only network manager doesn't meet all dependencies. nm can be replaced with wicd. where is the problem of upgrading R8 to devaun? experiment might be very interesting and gives new life to the best wattos version.

cheers,

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 10:05:35 PM »
Be sure to backup before upgrading if you follow that route. Personally I would make a clean install. But it is your system, so you are the boss. Good luck! :)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 12:43:53 PM »
I am very interested in the results of this upgrade. Please keep us  posted.

Maroman

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 01:13:04 PM »
I am very interested in the results of this upgrade. Please keep us  posted.
well, I'm not going to upgrade. I want to pay attention and say that "ancient" versions are still alive and useable. please think on devuan-based version. I wish every year is wasted work and the potential of past versions.

moreover on my laptop I want continuously keep one linux version as long as possible. wattos was finally installed in dec. 2014 (I installed it earlier but was not decide what to use - pointlinux or wattos).

cheers

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 02:18:14 PM »
Many thanks for the update and for taking our advice on board.

Good to hear you believe in keeping the old stuff alive!  We still support all of our distros within the confines of the host platform.

Look forward to seeing you on these discussions :-)