Author Topic: Should there be Wattos Xfce-Lite?  (Read 12320 times)

wattoslove

• View Profile
Should there be Wattos Xfce-Lite?
« on: June 05, 2016, 08:37:18 PM »
Merhaba arkadaşlar, severek kullandıgımız Wattos Lxde için alternatif olarak Xfce masaüstü mümkün mü?. Bildiginiz gibi Xfce masaüstü daha kullanışlı. Ancak Wattos Lxde gibi hafif olabilir mi, bilemiyorum. Saygılar. :)

Hi friends, I love it possible we use Xfce desktop as an alternative to the Wattos Lx ?. As you know Xfce desktop more usable. However it be mild like Wattos Lx, I do not know. Respects. :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 08:39:21 PM by wattoslove »

teejay

• wattOS Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Should there be Wattos Xfce-Lite?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 12:23:16 AM »
More usable ?   Depends on who you ask !

Want Xfce ?   A short while ago, someone added an Xfce desktop to his wattOS and posted his desktop in these forums.  Use Search with xfce4 as search term to find it; look for a post by Dan.     If he sees this, he might also let you know if there are any hurdles to jump in adding Xfce and removing LXDE traces. 

wattoslove

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 03:24:47 AM »
Wattos Lxde'den gayet memnunum, ancak Wattos Lxde yanına bir de Xfce-lite olsa daha iyi olur diye düşünüyorum. Çünkü Lxde her iş için yeterli gelmeyebiliyor. Tabii bu biraz da imkan meselesi... :)

Wattos I am quite satisfied with the LXDE, but Wattos the next one would be better if the Lx Xfce-lite, I think. Because the Lx can be sufficient for each job. Of course it's a little matter of the opportunity ... :)

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 09:46:13 PM »
Yes, I'm still here!  ;D

I wrote out a "How to", but I decided to erase it. I'll be able to get to my computer soon...and I can give exact details once there. It's very easy to do though.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 10:12:30 PM by Dan »

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 12:24:49 AM »
Okay...if you want to add Xfce to wattOS, it's easy...

1. Adding Xfce4

Open your terminal, and enter the following command...

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install xfce4
After executing that command, you will have the basic Xfce desktop environment in addition to the LXDE and Openbox environments. You can now log out of your computer. In the upper-right-hand corner of the log in screen, you'll see the LXDE icon. If you click on it, you can choose which desktop session you want to use. Click on XFCE4 Session, and then log in. You'll now be presented with the Xfce session and you will need to choose to have the default layout or one empty panel. Choose the default layout unless you are familiar with how to set up Xfce.

Also, the Network icon doesn't show on the Xfce session. You should still be connected to the internet despite not having the icon, and you still have access to your network in the menu though.

Rather than giving multiple terminal commands in order to add more to the Xfce desktop, I will just suggest...

a) Open the Synaptic Package Manager
b) Type xfce in the Search box (NOT THE QUICK FILTER BOX!).
c) You can then pick and choose which items you want to add that are specific to the Xfce desktop.

I would highly suggest adding gtk2-engines-murrine. It won't show up in the xfce search, but if you search for it by name...add it too, because it really helps make the desktop look nicer with many themes. I use it on the stock wattOS LXDE too.  ;)

Now, at this point you have two desktop environments; therefore, you will have two file managers...Thunar (Xfce) and PCManFM (LXDE). That's part of Biff's brilliance. Though wattOS is an LXDE environment, there aren't really that many things tied to LXDE as there are in other Linux distros that use LXDE. The two file managers are really the only double applications that you'll have.

You can remove PCManFM if you'd like, but you can't remove Thunar (I personally prefer PCMan over Thunar myself). IF you want to remove PCManFM, enter the following command in your terminal...

sudo apt-get remove --purge pcmanfm*
2. Removing LXDE & Openbox

This is optional. If you don't mind having three desktop sessions, then just forget about this. Remember, you can choose LXDE, Openbox, or Xfce4 at the log-in screen. However, if you want to remove LXDE and Openbox...do this while you're logged in to your Xfce4 session. Open your terminal, and enter the following commands one at a time...allowing each command to finish before moving to the next one.

sudo apt-get remove --purge lxde*
sudo apt-get remove --purge openbox*
3. Final Cleanup

If you've removed LXDE and Openbox, there will still be a few items left on your computer from both. To get rid of those...

a) Open the Synaptic Package Manager
b) Type lxde in the Search box.
c) Look for the few items that are installed, and mark them for Complete Removal and remove them. You might want to leave lxtask (taskmanager) and lxterminal (terminal), unless you want to install xfce4-taskmanager and xfce4-terminal to replace them.
d) Do the same 3 steps with openbox.

Lastly, close synaptic and open your terminal and enter the following command...

sudo apt-get autoremove
Now the next time you log out, you'll only have the Xfce4 session. I hope this helped, and enjoy your wattOS Xfce edition! It's probably the lightest Xfce distro around!  :D

teejay

• wattOS Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 12:32:47 AM »
You're the man, Dan !   ;D
Thanks.

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 01:44:58 AM »
 :)

wattoslove

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 12:09:01 PM »
@Dan teşekkürler, ben bunları zaten biliyorum :)
Benim demek istedigim, Wattos Xfce-lite masaüstü çıkması mümkün mü?

@ Thanks to, I already know them :)
I mean I want, Wattos been able to come out of the Xfce desktop-lite?

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 03:59:04 PM »
For the majority of WattOS's life, we've based it on a LXDE base to keep things nice and simple and light. we did dabble briefly with one release on Debian rather than Ubuntu also.

This next version.. WattOS R10 will be gtk2 lxde. not sure on the Microwatt flavour as yet due to the success of the I3 manager.

We'll possibly have a look for R11 maybe at the Xfce as a standard core..

Biff will probably have a say here once he gets online from work! Keep eyes peeled to this space as they say!!

wattoslove

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 03:38:30 AM »
WattOS R10 will be gtk2 lxde
We'll possibly have a look for R11 maybe at the Xfce as a standard core..

I'm waiting with patience :)