Author Topic: Upgrade 14.04 to 16.04 ?  (Read 3624 times)

Slyvester

• View Profile
Upgrade 14.04 to 16.04 ?
« on: May 16, 2016, 08:27:57 AM »
Hello,

I'd like to know if I can upgrade my wattOS-R9-32Bits from version 14.04 LTS to the new version 16.04 ? This is what I got in my terminal :

Code: [Select]
slyvester@slyvester-desktop:~$ cat /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades
# Default behavior for the release upgrader.

[DEFAULT]
# Default prompting behavior, valid options:
#
#  never  - Never check for a new release.
#  normal - Check to see if a new release is available.  If more than one new
#           release is found, the release upgrader will attempt to upgrade to
#           the release that immediately succeeds the currently-running
#           release.
#  lts    - Check to see if a new LTS release is available.  The upgrader
#           will attempt to upgrade to the first LTS release available after
#           the currently-running one.  Note that this option should not be
#           used if the currently-running release is not itself an LTS
#           release, since in that case the upgrader won't be able to
#           determine if a newer release is available.
Prompt=lts
slyvester@slyvester-desktop:~$ sudo do-release-upgrade -c -d
Checking for a new Ubuntu release
New release '16.04 LTS' available.
Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.
slyvester@slyvester-desktop:~$

Thanking you in advance.
Slyvester

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade 14.04 to 16.04 ?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 12:53:21 PM »
New release is not ready yet. Clean install is only way for wattOS.

Slyvester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 03:13:21 PM »
Leenie wrote : "New release is not ready yet. Clean install is only way for wattOS".

All right. I asked this question because I just upgraded successfully my Lubuntu from 14.04.4 to the new version 16.04 LTS. I was  wondering if I could do it in the same old way for wattOS-R9-32Bits which is based on Ubuntu 14.04. I know that people pretend that with a clean installation, with previous formatting of the target partition, you have the least chance of troubles afterwards. It seems like this old wisdom is valid for every operating system under the sun. This might be partly due to the configuration files that exist in the old version and they sometimes cause complications in the new version.
Besides, a clean installation is usually a lot quicker than an upgrade. Well yes, I must admit that upgrading Lubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 took me quiet a while : just about 4 hours, would you believe it?

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 05:24:49 PM »
4 hours for upgrade? Wow, that's a long time. I will be keeping my 14.04 for a while yet, at least until they work out all the bugs. I am testing Lubuntu 14.04 64 bit (in Virtualbox) and there are several issues. The one that bugs me the most is the light locker. It will not open from menu so I can shut it off. I hate it.

teejay

• wattOS Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 01:17:34 AM »
An upgrade might work, but not get what you want.
My observations as a wattOS end-user (as opposed to developer), are that :
- historically, wattOS has had less and lighter applications than mainstream Ubuntu, and has been carefully stripped-down of the "luxury extras".  (And sometimes that has meant users have needed to find a driver which might have been included in U.)  So there's quite a lot of config work in there from Biff.  I recall that this started from the U "alternative install iso" as a base. 
- recently, Canonical have also released a "core" version of U; I get the impression that using this as a base results in more building-up rather than stripping-down, but again omitting larger and heavier material.
- not least has been the integrated use of LXDE in wattOS in lieu of than Gnome/Unity.
If I've observed correctly, then an update might work (and might not), but even if it did you could find that there is a large amount of material and different configs which mean that what results is not really wattOS. 

Lubuntu is in a different position, being an official U variant.  Users would need to be able to upgrade, as a matter of course. 
(I agree with Leenie - 4 hours seems a long time for an in-place upgrade.)

If you have a clone backup of your wattOS (and hence a complete recovery option) then you could try the upgrade an see what you get.   I'd suggest first searching online for experiences of upgrading U from 14.04 to 16.04, so any major pitfalls can be avoided, but it would be an interesting adventure, no ?     :-)

Slyvester

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 09:13:36 AM »
Teejay wrote : " ... If you have a clone backup of your wattOS (and hence a complete recovery option) then you could try the upgrade an see what you get.   I'd suggest first searching online for experiences of upgrading U from 14.04 to 16.04, so any major pitfalls can be avoided, but it would be an interesting adventure, no ? ..."
Damn right Teejay. That's what I intend to do in the future. Of course, I'm not completely stupid and I always make a clone backup of my system (thanks to Clonezilla) just in case I would want to get my wattOS-R9 back on track. But before that I'd like to make a clean installation of the new version of the brand new wattOS-R10 when it will be released. I'm looking forward for that, like all of us ! At that time, I won't have a lot to loose a lot. I guess it's worth trying and that's what I'll do later.

As you suggested, I've already written a few posts on two french forums to see what they think about that upgrade. For those interested, here's the link and the topic that gave the impulse to upgrade my Lubuntu 14.04.4 LTS to Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus :http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=1884671&p=2
The interesting part starts at post # 48 written by Malbo. I forgot to tell you, it's in french but Google can manage the translation, right ?

Thanks for your detailled answer, Teejay !