Author Topic: Exploring wattOS  (Read 3789 times)

hexaferrum

• View Profile
Exploring wattOS
« on: April 05, 2016, 09:08:42 PM »
Greetings to all, getting acquainted to the forum and to wattOS. Installed it on a 16 Gb pen drive with a fairly new Lenovo Desktop PC. In the past tried wattOS for a very old laptop, at that time decided to try other distros with more out of the box experience. So far the current experience is rewarding, the feeling of building your own system with the daily used applications is awesome. The minimalist sense of this distro is like the idea of K.I.S.S. Sure there are other customization that will enhance hexaferrum's usage, however here is what he has done:

- Downloaded the source package guayadeque and compiled it, have not heard a sound coming out the player yet. Perhaps, a reboot will heal it. (learner willing to get more expertise)
- Uninstalled midori, it was crashing when visited source forge package download
- Installed chromium-browser. How chromium-browser can be added to the mod+b?
- Installed the VLC player, hoping that solves the sound issues
- Are you on IRC, which is the network and channel?

He likes very much this distribution, congratulations to all whom contributed to its development and thanks for making it available.

See you soon

teejay

• wattOS Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Exploring wattOS
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 11:21:56 PM »
Welcome to the wattOS orbit !

Looks like you're using microwatt.  I have little experience with that, but from its introduction there were some tips :
- there is good documentation on the i3 wm website (refer here  http://wiki.planetwatt.com/index.php?title=WattOS-Microwatt-R9  )
- Biff made a video showing i3 being used "conventionally" :  see here   https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6bmHEI4AaoOkt_AS1I5OKT8sXtcDWzLe 

Sound ? Not sure there.   As a guess, you might need something like pavucontrol installed. 
User experience with Midori is mixed - some love it, others can't get it to work reliably.  Not limited to wattOS. 
IRC ?  I don't think so ... my recall is that when a channel was available it was low traffic, and was closed. 
Hope that gets you to some solutions.

hexaferrum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 02:31:42 AM »
teejay, that's correct, microwatt with i3wm is what I installed.
Checked out the documentation and links you provided. Great information.
Was able to change the mod+b for chromium-browser within the i3 configuration file.
It's okay that there is no IRC channel.
Sound is the issue. Unable to make the PC playback sounds through players, or youtube. Searched the web for solutions without luck yet.

Thanks for your reply. See you soon!

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 08:38:49 AM »
Re IRC channel.....

there is a mention on the forums here on that  [size=78%]http://planetwatt.com/newforum/index.php?topic=344.0[/size]

How active it is ... I do not know.

I did host a server for a good while for here but as teejay correctly mentioned, I had to close it due to almost zero traffic coming through and paying for the server directly out of my own pocket

teejay

• wattOS Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 12:04:49 AM »
on sound ....
microwatt R9 is based on U14,04 .    A quick search on "no sound ubuntu 14.04" has a large list of hits.  Ouch.  As ever, there is much useful material in the Ubuntu forums, plus in those which follow Ubuntu.     Note that Mint also uses the U14.04 base, so a solution might appear in their forums.

In microwatt,   sudo alsamixer   will give a quick view - does something look out of place here ?   (The first troubleshoot step is typically "ensure sound isn't muted")
The next steps are generally to reload/force pulseaudio  and/or  remove&reinstall alsa and pulseaudio.  I imagine you've already discovered many webpages with that routine. 

Historically, installing pavucontrol has provided enough info for users to adjust sound.

hexaferrum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 06:47:28 AM »
cherion and teejay, thanks for your help.

I got the audio working with this:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
alsactl restore

Sound issue solved