Author Topic: Browser Wars  (Read 27658 times)

Dan

• View Profile
Re: Browser Wars
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 04:09:04 AM »
Looks like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video will soon be available on Firefox! I hope 32bit versions are included and that Firefox continues supporting 32bit.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/08/firefox-49-linux-netflix-google-widevine-cdm

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 05:11:42 PM »
And about time imo. :)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 05:49:47 PM »
My 32bit Firefox was just updated to the newest version...tried Amazon Prime, and it's working great! It threw up the same old error, but then I saw a button (to push on the screen) to enable DRM. Clicked the button, and it played perfectly.

Note: I use Firefox that I downloaded from Mozilla...not the one from the repos...so it will be a little while before users receive the new version.

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2016, 08:56:14 PM »
My 32bit Firefox was just updated to the newest version...tried Amazon Prime, and it's working great! It threw up the same old error, but then I saw a button (to push on the screen) to enable DRM. Clicked the button, and it played perfectly.

Note: I use Firefox that I downloaded from Mozilla...not the one from the repos...so it will be a little while before users receive the new version.

64bit is updated now, and it's working great too!

Firefox to the rescue for 32bit Linux users!

Mike

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2016, 11:06:53 PM »
Hmm, for some reason it's not working for me in Firefox 49, even with user agent override. I see that widevine is installed as a plugin but I still get an "Install Silverlight" message in Netflix.

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 12:26:39 AM »
Hmm, for some reason it's not working for me in Firefox 49, even with user agent override. I see that widevine is installed as a plugin but I still get an "Install Silverlight" message in Netflix.

You're right! It's doing it to me on Netflix too. Amazon Prime plays with no problem though.

I never watch Netflix...only Amazon Prime...but I thought I'd check it out. I couldn't remember my wife's Netflix account information, so I signed up for the one month free just to check it out.

I wonder why Amazon works but not Netflix? Guess I celebrated too early... >:(

Mike

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 12:28:48 AM »
Bummer! Well, thanks for checking it out. Sorry to make you sign up for Netflix for nothing. lol

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2016, 12:33:25 AM »
LOL! I've already canceled the membership.  ;D

I did read this...

It’s unlikely that Netflix and company will flip the switch for Linux Firefox users right away, so some short-term user-agent switching may be necessary.

However, that didn't help your situation. Perhaps the User Agent takes some type of special configuration? I don't know...

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2016, 09:27:28 AM »
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 04:29:21 PM »
After trying several different User Agent add-ons, I finally got Netflix to play.

Unfortunately, the User Agent that worked (for me) isn't the most user-friendly.

This is the one that worked for me...and it works on both 64bit and 32bit installs...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/custom-useragent-string/?src=search

After installing it, click its icon on the tool-bar, and click Settings.

In the page that opens, look under "Select Desktop Google Chrome UserAgent String" and scroll down and click the last entry under that heading; which is...

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/46.0.2490.71 Safari/537.36

Now scroll down the page (not the section where you choose the UserAgent), and click the + sign.

That will add the User Agent to the browser.

Don't be deterred if you get an error message or blank screen on Netflix at first. I had to reload the page a couple of times before I was able to watch a video.

Edited to add: While this allowed me to watch Netflix, it's using an outdated version of Chrome in its string; therefore, you will get some warnings on other websites that you're using an old version of Chrome and need to update. So...the one good thing about this particular add-on is that it's easily turned on and off. So...just turn it on to use Netflix and turn it off everywhere else.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 06:25:26 PM by Dan »

bob

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2016, 03:27:58 PM »
Thanks for the info on Slimjet, using it right now.

I was using Palemoon which is a fork of Firefox. I only used it because it was light and could use a proxy.
Seems slimjet is faster and can use a proxy too!

Double nice, thank you.

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2016, 04:25:29 PM »
I just installed Opera to try. Checking out the vpn part.  http://www.opera.com/blogs/desktop/2016/04/free-vpn-integrated-opera-for-windows-mac/

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 03:29:23 PM »
I just installed Opera to try. Checking out the vpn part.  http://www.opera.com/blogs/desktop/2016/04/free-vpn-integrated-opera-for-windows-mac/

Looks like they've changed it? Seems like I recall that they once offered a free trial version, but you had to pay to continue using it.

I actually really like Opera...it seemed to use a lot of RAM the last time I tried it though.

Do you mind sharing your conclusions leenie?

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2016, 07:49:20 PM »
So far it uses about as much ram as Firefox using planetwatt's page to compare with one page open in each browser. It is faster than Firefox. There is no home page, (just a startup page) import of bookmarks did not work. I set up my personal settings, block third party cookies, opt out of sending usage stats, and installed Disconnect. I've had many tabs open trying to slow it down or make it crash, it is solid. It has built in ad blocker. The setup is pretty much the same as Chrome, but it has VPN built in. I can't tell if it's working yet. I selected to look like I'm in Canada. I have to say so far that I like it.

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2016, 08:17:53 PM »
VPN does work! This will be a big deal for those using public wi-fi.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 08:20:01 PM by leenie »