Author Topic: [SOLVED] Compton killed my wattOS 64 bit.  (Read 2715 times)

Dan

• View Profile
[SOLVED] Compton killed my wattOS 64 bit.
« on: February 10, 2016, 05:03:31 AM »
I installed Compton on 2 of my wattOS computers...worked GREAT! I even wrote a "how to" and posted it...HOWEVER...I removed the post, because later, I installed it on a 64 bit laptop running wattOS LXDE 64 bit, and when I rebooted...got to the log in screen...entered my password...hit Enter...the log in went away, but the background image stayed and never went to the desktop. It was just stuck at the Lightdm greeter screen's image.

To make a long story short, I re-installed...tried it again...same result. I had even heard that Point Linux came with Compton pre-installed, so I even tried to install it (just to see what would happen), and it would go to the desktop, but nothing would show up on the desktop.

Something about Compton and this computer doesn't jive...does anyone have any ideas?

It's late here, so here's a quick rundown of the system...

It's a Toshiba

Processor      : 2x AMD Turion(tm) II Dual-Core Mobile M520
Memory      : 3786MB (641MB used)

-Display-
Resolution      : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer      : Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880
X11 Vendor      : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter      : HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
-Input Devices-
 Power Button
 Lid Switch
 Power Button
 AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
 Logitech USB Optical Mouse
 SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
 Toshiba input device
 Video Bus
 HDA ATI SB Mic
 HDA ATI SB Front Headphone
 USB2.0 UVC WebCam

-SCSI Disks-
ATA FUJITSU MJA2320B
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT20F

Is the easiest thing...I should just forget using Compton on this computer?  :o   ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:36:48 PM by Dan »

Dan

• View Profile
Re: Compton killed my wattOS 64 bit.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 01:54:51 AM »
wattOS is back up and running on this computer...with Compton!  ;)

I finally figured it out...well...I didn't figure anything out. It was mere luck. You have to add a command to the Autostart file, and on the other two computers, that command was @compton -b

I'll spare the details, but for some reason, this computer requires @compton -c

I have no idea why...I thought I'd just take a stab at trying a different command. Luckily, my first "stab" hit the mark.

I would love to make another post with a tutorial for others to install Compton; however, I don't know how to tell the difference as to why one would need a different Autostart command, and I'd hate to put anyone else through what I've been through. I'm just hard-headed about things like this...I'll either figure it out or give myself a nervous-jerkdown trying to figure it out before I blow a gasket.  ;D

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 04:40:16 AM »
^ ;D
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 10:15:36 PM »
I would love to make another post with a tutorial for others to install Compton; however, I don't know how to tell the difference as to why one would need a different Autostart command, and I'd hate to put anyone else through what I've been through.

Finally figured it out...it was so simple... ::)