Author Topic: general stuff and question  (Read 9674 times)

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
general stuff and question
« on: November 08, 2015, 01:34:49 AM »
Hi all...wanted to query if anyone was interested in testing the 4.x kernel. I am considering building a non-LTS build in the next month to test the 4.x kernel and functionality, issues, etc. and to also test some other software/repos, etc.

Also its that time of the year, so I am going to do some general housekeeping and clean up of some things over the next couple weeks. (Wiki, downloads and notes, etc) and add some content to help clarify things for new users, etc...

feel free to give me any commentary on what you think needs attention so I have it in one place, and if you are interested in playing with 4.x kernel.

tks....biff

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: general stuff and question
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 03:17:52 PM »
Hi Biff, you know I will help test.

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 11:33:40 PM »
4.x kernel with what? 15.10? Or something else? Will test if possible. Depends also how much real life insists on attention. ;)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

teejay

• wattOS Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 10:06:35 PM »
On the basis that you are looking at the effects of using a different base/kernel, rather than tech appraisal (for which I am poorly qualified), add me to tester offers.

teejay

• wattOS Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 10:35:19 PM »
As to what else might join your housekeeping list ....

I haven't yet used R9 microwatt beyond a superficial look at launch, but I have noted multiple posts from interested users.  It looks as if the new UI has been popular and successful, and while it might not immediately suit someone migrating from the Win-world, it could be a realistic alternative or more than the high-tech few.  And a point of difference for wattOS.   So I reckon that some collation of available material for new-to-i3 users is warranted, in the wiki.    Promote any included wattOS support (eg easy install of chosen mainstream software), and any apparent limitations which come with i3/Microwatt, to save angst later on. 

Concerns are appearing (other forums, fellow Linux users, ...) about the future of LXDE, as opposed fo LXQt.  Many of these are unnecessary worrying.   It's plain that LXDE is still being developed and improved, but only if one actually goes and checks this.   It also seems there is still plenty work to be done to get LXQt to the same quality as LXDE.    It would be good to have your view regarding wattOS and LXDE, when there is enough substantive info available to you to make such a statement. 

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 09:03:59 AM »
Interesting points you have there teejay. Thanks.  :)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 09:42:21 AM »
Given the success of the microwatt program, i would like to, and i know i keep saying this lol  ;D ;D , see an arm release even if for testing for the pi.

Other notes... size of the distro.. given wattos works awesome on a good deal of the older pc's.. it would be nice to see a full fat return to cd and not dvd once more

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 09:52:23 PM »
Thank you all for the feedback. A couple of "of the top of the head" thoughts based upon these threads.

1. I too am watching LXDE closely. Not real enamored with LXQT - LXDE still seems very servicable and being maintained. I know that it has been said in the Lubuntu land that LXQT will not make the cut for the next LTS (16.04) so it will still be LXDE in April's release. (at least thats what I know currently). I also have dusted off and started looking at XFCE again. I used to use and deploy that alot way back in my Vector Linux/slackware days (prior to wattOS existence - like 2003). Its quite nice as I recently gave it a drive, and still being maintained. Its a little heavier, but still might be an option if LXDE goes away completely and LXQT does not get up to speed soon enough. XFCE almost feels like a compromise now between classic gnome and LXDE.

2.  ARM/PI is something I would love to do. (still).. :) and my goal has always been to keep the size to CD. It has been getting more difficult with a full blown desktop/apps and graphics.

3. I3 window manager is likely here to stay. Definitely not for the "normal user" in most cases but almost all advanced users I know run it (and I run it every day) Also if your willing to read and learn a little its pretty great and takes very little resources. Beware however. Its exceedingly difficult to go back to a normal floating window manager once you get used to a tiling one. Everything seems messy and in the way :)

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 07:59:56 AM »
Just throwing in a thought here. Xfce sounds interesting as a substitute for LXDE. Would be nice to see how a watted Xfce would behave. :) And one for the road, the Lxqt/LXDE thingymajig will guaranteed end up with a LXDE fork, remember that this is Linux. :D

teejay

• wattOS Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 11:58:47 PM »
Noting the the OP was looking to try out some ideas with a 4.x kernel, non-LTS base, I reckon a stable Xfce with some wattOS customisation would fit nicely. 
(Yes, I think there's a lot to like about Xfce.)

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 05:35:23 PM »
I'm not a fan of LXQT myself...I do hope LXDE continues in some form or fashion.

With that said, I already have wattOS Xfce!  ;D

Since LXDE and Xfce are my two favorite DEs, I also installed Xfce on one of my wattOS computers. It does use more RAM than LXDE of course, but it still performs great on my laptop.

Instead of LXQT, I would rather use Xfce on an older computer...even at the sacrifice of RAM usage...but that's my personal opinion and preference.  ;)

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 12:15:29 AM »
Here's a screenshot of my wattOS R9/Xfce desktop...hope it's okay to post this!  ???

All I did was install another 32-bit wattOS on a separate partition, then added xfce4 in the terminal (and a few other things relating to Xfce)...removed the LXDE components...did a little customization...and that's it. This particular computer idles around 200 MB of RAM using Xfce...which is less than any other Xfce distro I ever tried; whereas, LXDE idles at around 140 MB of RAM on this computer. I still use the LXDE version most of the time though...I just did this for fun one day.  ;)

« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 03:43:37 AM by Dan »

ajlec

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 04:24:37 AM »
Whatever you do please include a Microwatt version.

teejay

• wattOS Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 10:48:03 PM »
I have the impression that this is not a new version of wattOS.  So not R10, not even R9.5, and not for use with data you value highly.   It might break.   So, I'm not expecting a full array of new wattOS releases. 
I think Biff's point 3 above indicates there will be a microwatt when a new mainstream release arrives.
Of course, I could easily be wrong   :-)

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 07:26:20 AM »
I think you are right teejay. Hopefully he will be back soon with some clarifying news about this 4.x kernel test. Please remember that now there are other things to tend too in real life like Xmas. :)