Author Topic: Hello, I'm New Here  (Read 4147 times)

Mike W

Hello, I'm New Here
« on: May 26, 2014, 09:33:24 AM »
Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been using WattOS r6 for well over a year now on a 12-year-old Dell Dimension 2300, P4, 1GB RAM. It works great! Thanks to all the developers/testers/contributors for providing such a high-quality distro.

I've also played around with live CDs of Microwatt 7.5 and WattOS 8 LXDE. I'm very tempted to install 8, but since I have r6 tweaked to my liking, I may stick with it as long as it is actively supported, we'll see . . .

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, I'm New Here
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 10:03:17 AM »
Welcome to the new forums Mike and glad to see you're an existing Watt user!

madjo

• wattOS R8 LXDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 04:30:35 PM »
Hello everybody, i am WattOS user from Montenego.I'm still using old 32 bit pc, i tried about ten lightweight distros and WattOS R8 the was best one to choose.There is no need for new pc ;)

Thank you for this fantastic distro !

I'm apologise for my bad English language.  :o

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 07:46:54 PM »
@Mike W; just enjoy your live session, no hurry to install, but why later than sooner  ;D

@madjo; why buy a new pc when you can turn your old crappy lappy into a really great one with Watt  8)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

rijnsma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 07:31:38 PM »
I'm very familiar with the layout of this new forum.
Editing is more comfortable. I like that.

;)

I'm a computerfreak of the first hour beginning with selfmade 'Unior-computers' via Atari ST and Falcon to what we use nowadays. I'm somewhat a 'hopper', but I keep an eye on WattOS, which served me very, very well on an old Dell. All the best to you all!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:19:38 PM by rijnsma »

zephyr

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 03:49:27 AM »
Hello Mike: I just installed WattOS today, surprised to find an excellent solid distro on such a small image. I have been with Linux for about 9 months. Started with Ultimate Linux, and moved slowly away from anything Ubuntu. Use VSIDO, ANTIX, DMDC, SPARKY, CRUNCHBANG and now WATT OS. I have an active 6 drive PC, and trying hard to find a good distro that isn't fluxbox or openbox. Very impressed with WattOS, very stable and it just looks and feels right, everything works.  LXDE is probably the most tweak-able and customizable  desktop in the Linux world, just the opposite end of KDE. By the way, just jumped in here, welcome page was a little obscure and appreciate the invite. Thank you. Zephyr

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 08:47:46 AM »
hi,  welcome rinsjma and zephyr.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

jeliotcranch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 09:28:44 PM »
Hi, I'm new, too.  New to Watt anyway.  I tried Watt 6 or 7 prior to this on my N270 Atom based notebook.  Not bad, but I was, and still am primarily an Ubuntu/Mint user, and Mint/Mate was pretty light. Until....

Now I'm using MicroWatt R8 as a VM currently.  I absolutely love the Ivi_ob theme!  It remindes me of my favorite light(er)weight distro of all time: Mint 9 Fluxbox.  And this one is lighter, and pretty much pure debian.

I've three compliants though, one with a fix.

1.  Re: Ivi_ob, Why are the icons left for you to guess the functionallity.  Its not to save space.  I did my own icons, trying to stay within the clean, subdued and minimalist bounds of the Ivi-ob theme.  Use them if you like.  For a system-wide fix, Just copy them into the theme file (assuming you saved them to your Downloads directory:
Code: [Select]
cd Downloads
sudo cp iconify.xbm close.xbm max.xbm /usr/share/themes/Ivi_ob/openbox-3/
then restart openbox.

I suppose a safer way would be to save them locally and create a local themerc file, but...

2.  Installing Gimp.... I kept getting unmet dependencies.  frequently the dependents were not available or would not install themselves.

3.  Installing mysql-server.  Fails on configuration for mysql-server-5.5.  I'm trying an older mysql-server version now, not sure exactly what's going on yet.  As I want this for a lightweight webserver for my virtual network, this is kindof important.

Anyway, Gimp and MySQL issues are for a different category.

Nice work though, on MicroWatt R8.  Loving it.