Author Topic: wattOS R7.5?  (Read 3850 times)

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
wattOS R7.5?
« on: August 29, 2015, 12:53:53 PM »
The R7.5 release is based on Ubuntu 13.04 if I have understood things right? That is an obsolete release which Ubuntu support ended 2014.01.27! Why is it still possible to download such an old iso? Would it not be better to remove it, so there can not be any misunderstanding? I do even doubt the value of having the possibility to download R8, the oldstable Wheezy release. But that I can understand since it is a LTS release.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 12:59:01 PM by blaze »
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

teejay

• wattOS Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: wattOS R7.5?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 12:24:44 AM »
A good point .... perhaps simply noting that they are unsupported would suffice ?   (As fast as they are removed, someone will be wanting one.)

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 08:10:22 AM »
Yes, but then it would be too late!  ;D Jokes aside. I just think it is wrong to have clearly outdated software on the official download page. If there is something in those old isos that newer isos do not have, well then it is just natural progression. We have to remember that there are other distros that also offers isos made for old low spec hardware. So if it does not work out, one just have to try a workaround or some other distro.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 08:14:11 AM »
Just throwing a bone out here so bear with me.

Biff, like a minority few distro providers, try and maintain and provide support for all of their incarnations especially when it is using a rewrite.

I agree with the fact that outdated and unsupported base versions should be labelled now as such.. but in the same sentance... although the base is unsupported (ubuntu 11.whatever, etc) the actual rewrite side (programs) still are and I think that is where we are here.

So good point folks and nice to see a quiet contained social discussion on it :)

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 06:03:14 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. I can certainly change the label on it to be clear.

Interestingly whenever I remove a download link to an old version I usually get complaints for the opposite which is "why" cant I get the old version as I use it exclusively for "X" project, program, etc.

So its a balancing act of course.

I will see if I can make some updates/changes this coming week as I will not be traveling for a few days....tks

biff

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 07:32:17 AM »
Ok, thanks for explanation guys! @cheiron, no need for my outdoor voice here.  ;)

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 10:26:06 PM »
Hiya,

I have been slow in keeping up my end of the bargain lately, so I am going to do some housekeeping this weekend to update some of these things as suggested as I think its reasonable.

tks
biff