Author Topic: RESOLVED-Can't Boot microwatt64  (Read 2448 times)

davec51

• View Profile
RESOLVED-Can't Boot microwatt64
« on: August 28, 2015, 02:38:46 PM »
I tried putting Microwatt64 on both a DVD and a thumb drive (unetbootin and dd process). In all cases the boot is interrupted with the message, "Authentication Failure." Even if I knew the password, I don't know how to give it during the boot process. I'm using the LXDE WattOS with pleasure.
Any help will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:57:36 PM by davec51 »

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Boot microwatt64
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 12:34:56 PM »
Please be more specific, when does the "Authentication Failure" message appear during boot? The live session of wattOS does not request any password.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

davec51

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 02:20:47 PM »
Thanks for replying.
 I'm booting from a live DVD on a Dell Optiplex GX520, 64-bit mathine.
Shortly after the boot begins, the screen resolves to black with a small (about 1/6 the screen size) rectangle with a repeated "U" pattern. After about 40 seconds total into the boot, the text "Authentication failure" appears eleven times in that rectangle. Then the process stops, requiring reboot.

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 02:49:17 PM »
Start all over, download the iso again. Check the md5 sum, and retry. Probably something wrong with your downloaded iso.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

davec51

• View Profile
Re: RESOLVED-Can't Boot microwatt64
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 04:00:14 PM »
I downloaded again and installed with Unetbootin to a thumb drive. Again 11 instances of "Authentication failure." I'm concluding that this version is not for me and sticking to LXDE, which I like very much.
Thanks again for your effort.

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 04:32:57 PM »
Ok, no  worry, tested the 32bit in vbox today. Booted fine into live mode.  :)

teejay

• wattOS Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 01:09:26 AM »
@davec51
Your description of the block of U rings a bell - I recall that happening in earlier versions.   From memory, which means I don't have a URL reference, the typical solutions were to :
- check the MD5 sum of the downloaded iso for integrity (and re-download if necessary, as Blaze suggested),
- burn the CD/DVD as slowly as possible rather than using the burner's max or auto speed settings, and
- press F6 after the boot begins and choose the "nomodeset" option (or add that to the boot codes if that's the method that's offered)

As a guess : if the above gives you no joy, search for <your Dell model>  and  Ubuntu  in your preferred search engine. 

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 08:15:06 AM »
^Good suggestions teejay. davec51, did you try out the 32bit iso?