Author Topic: Microwatt install on a Dell Ispiron  (Read 5373 times)

ajlec2000

Microwatt install on a Dell Ispiron
« on: July 02, 2015, 02:06:45 AM »
I've been looking for a lightweight OS for my resource challenged Dell. This computer handled XP and Ubunti 8.04 with no problem but has a hard time with today's linux distros. Linux Lite was slow and Slitaz wouldn't find the wireless or set the proper time. I've had Microwatt running all afternoon. So far the only problem has been with Midori. It often will not connect to urls that I know are good. I suspect this may be a problem with the wireless connection. I've found i3 to be a challenge but I'm getting used to it. And the system is fast. I'm liking it thus far and kind of want it to continue to be the goto OS for this laptop.   

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
Re: Microwatt install on a Dell Ispiron
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 09:37:06 AM »
Welcome to the wattOS forums ajlec. Glad to hear that you are liking it so far. My experience with Midori is not big, and when I have tried it, it crashed often. Maybe try some other, check out Qupzilla or some other that offer a little bit of a more lightweight browsing experience.  :)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

ajlec2000

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 11:35:40 AM »
Tried Qupzilla and so far its perfect. Thanks blaze.

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 05:48:15 AM »
Nothing sounds better than perfect, if things should go weird or something...please tell us :)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

ajlec2000

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 11:00:24 PM »
Well weird or not every browser I've tried has a regular problem connecting to urls. So far Chromium has had the least amount of difficulty. I think the problem is with the wireless device and not the OS. Sometimes when using Synaptic I have to double clutch to get the download. Good news is I see this as an opportunity to learn more about Linux as I try to figure this out. Unless something big goes wrong I plan to stay with Microwatt on this machine. Its fast and so far does every thing I want. The i3 desktop takes some getting used to but I like it.

ajlec2000

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 06:55:39 PM »
I got the on board wireless working on the 1501 and this seems to have solved the dropped url problem.

The Microwatt version works so well I've installed the LXDE version of R9 on a Dell D610. Working great thus far.

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 09:24:02 AM »
Heyyya, congratulations are in order for you! Not only you got your wireless problem sorted out aljec! You also got another wattOS install!!!  8)

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 01:08:36 PM »
If possible. .. can you let us know what the on board wireless device was on the problem pc we can know for any other users and/or look at remedies please.

Cheers ;D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 01:10:18 PM by cheiron »

ajlec2000

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 12:50:55 AM »
Broadcom 4311. The b43-fwcutter and the firmware-b43-installer seemed to be the answer. And, oh, yeah, Fn-F2 to turn on the wireless.

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 09:16:54 AM »
Dear old Broadcom were the culprit...again, who could have guessed that  ;D Thanks for reporting it aljec.  :)

ajlec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 04:40:28 AM »
For some reason the forum says there is no user named ajlec2000. So I have re-registered as ajlec. Anyway I'm back to update my WattOS usage.
I'm very happy with Microwatt. It's perfect for my 15 inch screen.
I stopped using the LXDE version because I needed my 610 to experiment with an install of another distro.
However it was as beautiful as Microwatt and will be going on a desktop computer for a friend. She's a linux neophyte and Microwatt will be a gentle introduction for her.
Thanks and lets hope the forum doesn't erase me again.

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 08:22:00 AM »
Do not worry ajlec, you are here now again, and that is what is important. So welcome again. :D My guess is that you got deleted by mistake earlier during a MASSIVE spam tsunami that went on for quite a while. Good to hear that the Microwatt edition is working out for you. :)

teejay

• wattOS Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 10:59:28 PM »
@ajlec   Good to hear you've sorted out the registration as well as wireless.   
The idea that you would use microwatt for a linux neophyte is very interesting.  I assume you intend to do some pre-handover customisation of microwatt for her.    Any chance you would document that in a post, say in the R9 forum ?   
(fwiw, I see many friends using a browser and nothing else; in one case, Chrome opens to gmail and Fx for the rest.   I'll keep a keen eye out for your ideas.)

ajlec

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 09:42:45 AM »

Goodness no. Not Microwatt.
Actually I intend to use the LXDE version. Even then there will be a learning curve as her only experience with contemporary systems is Android. The desktop is going to be for browsing and photos.  I'll show her how to open firefox and how to transfer pictures and display them. If that works out we'll try chrome for some netflix. She''l love multiple workspaces with a different background for each one. She'll find how to add workspaces and end up with dozens of them each with a different background.

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 09:54:26 AM »
If she handles Android there will be no problem. Android can be very frustrating at times.  ;)