Author Topic: How to install LXDE version  (Read 4517 times)

cup

• View Profile
How to install LXDE version
« on: June 28, 2015, 07:13:01 AM »
I'm getting nowhere fast with this.

I tried the non-LXDE version to start with.  That has an installation icon.  It worked through as far as disk formatting and then hung up.

So I decided to try the LXDE version.  It comes up with a screen full of Mod+...  but nothing that tells you how to install WattOS.

What are you supposed to do to install the LXDE version?

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
Re: How to install LXDE version
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 07:42:38 AM »
Hi cup

I think this is going to be one for either Leenie , Biff or possibly Blaze. they are on USA timezones as far as i am aware so please bear with us and we will get it answered for you !

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 10:11:34 PM »
 There should be an icon on desktop of LXDE version that says install wattOS. Did you check the md5 sums? Do that before burning to a cd. Burn at slowest speed. Otherwise use Unetbootin on flashdrive (and Plop bootloader- if your pc does not have option to boot from usb). Are you using Windows to burn cd? Use ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/) if using Windows. I'll be waiting on your reply. Need specs of your pc too.

dchang0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 04:33:49 AM »
OP, I think you may have gotten the two versions mixed up.

I tried both 64-bit versions: R9 LXDE and R9 Microwatt.

R9 LXDE is the version that has an "Install wattOS-R9" icon on the desktop. The wizard seems to work up until after the user creation step, and then it fails with a "the installer crashed" error.

R9 Microwatt is the version that does not have an "Install wattOS-R9" icon on the desktop because there is no real desktop. What you do is press the hotkeys to open PCMan File Manager, and then right there in the /home/guest directory (first folder you see) is the "Install wattOS-R9" icon. HOWEVER, I was not able to get the install wizard to succeed from start to finish--it failed in several places, first right after partitioning, second while trying to sync the time.

Thus, both 64-bit versions' install wizards fail to install to the hard drive. My guess is that the 32-bit versions do work properly and that they didn't test the 64-bit versions enough.

I'm going back to R8 Microwatt 32-bit for now.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 04:39:40 AM by dchang0 »

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 11:24:07 AM »
cup, which version are you trying to install, 64 or 32bit? Torrent or direct download? Did you check md5 sum? What kind of installation media are you using, cd/dvd/usb? What kind of hardware are you trying to install to? Have you tried more than once? Have you tried on another computer? Have you tried with a different installation media? Have you tried to reburn/retransfer the files to the installation media? Did you burn/transfer the iso file on Linux or Windows? Which application/method did you use? Did the live session work as it should? Welcome to the wattOS forums by the way!
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 08:05:04 AM »
FWIW. Downloaded both 32 and 64bit LXDE, choose direct download. Installed the 32bit in vbox. Installation were a bit slow, but that is due to vbox. All fine, no problem whatsoever. The only thing is the resolution in vbox, but that is the same problem I had with Ubuntu earlier. Do not remember what the fix was, and am not sure if I care to spend time fixing it. Transferred the 64bit iso with dd to usb. Installed to an external ssd disk with a Thinkpad laptop through usb2 connection. Posting from it now. No problem whatsoever here either.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 05:27:29 AM »
Seen issues with the installer with choosing to download and install updates and 3rd party codecs on the installer wizard. (leave those unchecked) Also when choosing full disk encryption with the installer wizard. (worked sometimes, sometimes not, and always much...much slower appearing hung). The encrypting your home folder worked fine and did not impact installer speed.

cup

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 06:16:12 PM »
I've been busy with other things - anyway, back to the installation.  I'm installing the 32-bit version from the non-torrent download.  Anyway, MOD f seemed to do the trick.  For info, it works with a 256Mb 300MHz PIII.  Takes about  90s from switch on to being ready which isn't bad considering my 2GHz Core i7 running windows 7 takes considerably longer.  For comparison, both Windows 2000 and XP take that long to boot on the PIII.

I also installed the mate version on another machine.  The microwatt install is a lot easier to use once I've gotten round the Mod F bit but I prefer the mate user interface.

cup

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 06:18:55 PM »
How do I mark this issue as resolved?

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 05:46:04 AM »
Edit thread title of your first post.  :)